Lendy Dormevil: Orientation Leader

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Lehigh chapter.

Name: Guylendy Dormevil (Lendy)

Grad year: 2016

Major: Business Information Systems

Hometown: Norwalk, CT  

What is the objective of an Orientation Leader?

As orientation leaders, we help the first years get adjusted throughout their first semester at Lehigh. We are the first to welcome them, answer questions, and make their college transition smooth and easy. We are meant to be a friendly resource to all first years and their families.

How long have you been an Orientation Leader and why do you continue doing it each year?

I have been an orientation leader for two years now and I love it. You really get to see Lehigh in a new light as an OL. I’ve met some of the most genuine people from all different parts of Lehigh that I would have not met otherwise. Also seeing the first years move in that first day is probably the best feeling ever. Seeing their excitement makes me excited and I just want to be there to help out with any of their needs because moving into and living at college can be hard without some guidance.

Here is the real question… how do all of the Orientation Leaders stay so energized?

COFFEE.  We don’t all drink it, but it definitely helps on those early morning. But during the day when coffee isn’t available we just feed off each other’s the energy and happiness. One person’s uplifting spirit really changes the whole group.

What has been the most rewarding experience you have had by being an Orientation Leader?

Actually becoming friends with some of the first years from my group after orientation. It’s always nice to connect with some of the students and go to lunch and see how the year is going.

What is your one piece of advice for the incoming first-year students?

Get involved! Try anything you have interest in. It is a great way to meet people and get connected.

Lastly, how can people apply to be an Orientation Leader?

At the beginning of spring semester, applications become available on the HUB.  APPLY APPLY APPLY! I promise you won’t regret it.