How To Avoid The Freshman Fifteen

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Lehigh chapter.

Everyone always talks about the dreaded freshman fifteen, and one might wonder how to avoid the seemingly unavoidable. Here are a few tips to keep you healthy and focused as you enter what may be the biggest change of your life so far:

First lovely Lehigh ladies, check out Taylor gym. Working out is the number one way to stay fit, and it’s a great place to go after a long day of stressful work and classes. If you are a student at Lehigh University, you are able to use all the facilities Taylor gym has to provide. From treadmills to ellipticals, and fun workout classes offered regularly, it’s very easy to make time to get up and get active. What if you need a little more motivation? Think of all the cute guys that are lifting weights below the cardio machines!

Next, try your best to maintain a healthy diet. It is very hard to go from mom and dad’s home cooked meals to dining hall food. Everyday you are presented with the option of French fries, pizza, ice cream and numerous unhealthy options, and the hardest part: if you go to either Rathbone or Court its an all you can eat buffet! However, it is easier than you think to pick healthy options. In both dining halls there is a label above the food tray that tells you if it’s a vegetarian option, protein, or a carbohydrate. This makes it easy for you to create a balanced meal that you would normally be served at home. Also, keeping healthy snacks in the room, such as carrots and humus or power bars, will allow you to snack without guilt.

Lastly, Lehigh is the #19th party school in the country, so eating after going out is pretty much unavoidable. If you want to steer clear of the freshman fifteen, after-party eating should be limited to one night a month, if that. When walking down from the hill it’s hard not to be sucked into the lure of Hawks Nest. Stay strong girls! If your friends are going, say you will meet them in the dorm. Do not go in with them! This will only serve to tempt you even more. If you go back to the room and start feeling a little sick, keep pretzels or something carby to fill you up (that is always a better option than stuffing your face with grilled cheese and pizza).

College is a new experience for everyone, so I know it is hard to not be pressured into sitting in bed all day eating. However, I do have faith in my fellow mountain hawks to enjoy a healthy freshman year.