Amanda Walter: Dance Marathon Internal Chair

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Lehigh chapter.

Name: Amanda Walter

Grade: Junior

Major: Behavioral Neuroscience

Position on Dance Marathon Exec: Internal Chair

Organizations involved in around campus: Dance Marathon, Orientation, Cru Bible Study

Favorite TV show: Chopped

How did you get involved with dance marathon?

I got involved with Dance Marathon at the beginning of my sophomore year.  Once I learned that Dance Marathon had come to Lehigh’s campus, I knew I wanted to get involved. I had first heard of Dance Marathon through Penn State’s THON, and I knew it would be an incredible opportunity to get involved with LUDM’s first year on campus.  After last year’s event, I wanted to be involved in an even bigger way, so I applied to be Internal Chair.

How can people raise the proceeds?

Make the ask!  While fundraising can sometimes seem intimidating, it is really as simple as reaching out to family members and friends with a phone call or e-mail and asking them if they would be willing to support you.  Even if it is just $5, every little bit counts!  Additionally, DonorDrive, the website on which you register for the event, provides various resources to help you fundraise.  There are messages already drafted to e-mail to your family and friends directly from the site, and it also reminds you to send a thank-you e-mail after a donation has been received.  Our Fundraising Chairs have also uploaded their own resources for you onto the site, including another drafted letter to request support, tips on how to fundraise, and a copy of our sponsorship packet to use when reaching out to businesses and/or corporations.  Our goal this year is to raise $50,000 for The Children’s Hospital of Philadelphia (CHOP) so we absolutely need your support and the support of those around you!

When is the event taking place and what will happen there?

The event is taking place on Nov. 8th – Nov. 9th from 4:45pm – 1:00am in Grace Hall.  At the event, we will be celebrating all of our fundraising efforts alongside the Miracle Kids and Families in attendance.  Miracle Kids have been or are currently being treated at The Children’s Hospital of Philadelphia, and we will have the privilege of hearing several of their stories as well as just spending time with them and making them feel like rock stars during their time at the event.  We will also be collaborating with various groups on campus that will host activities throughout the night.  There will be plenty of music, dancing, games, food, and it will all end with the final reveal of all the money that we have raised for CHOP!  

How can I register?

You can register by using this link: http://events.dancemarathon.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=donorDrive.event&eventID=517 and clicking on Register Now!

Can I still help out with the planning of Dance Marathon?

Absolutely!  The club meetings take place weekly on Wednesdays from 5:30pm-6:30pm in Rauch 271.  During each meeting we break up into committees so that members can get involved with whatever aspect of the event interests them most: Public Relations, Dancer Relations, Finance, Fundraising, Catering, Morale, Event Operations, and Family Relations.  We are always looking for new members that are enthusiastic about the cause and want to get involved!

What are your hopes for the future of Dance Marathon at Lehigh?

My hopes for the future of Dance Marathon at Lehigh is for it to become well-known throughout campus and for its presence to be recognized year round.  I would love to see events being held throughout the year to raise both support and awareness for CHOP, all leading up to the big event in November.  I also hope to see our final total growing each and every year.  I truly believe in the power of this event, this organization, and this cause to unify campus and bring all of us together towards the common goal of dancing For The Kids at The Children’s Hospital of Philadelphia!  

If you have any questions, want to get involved in any way, or just want to learn more, please e-mail us at LehighDanceMarathon@gmail.com.

Also, please like and share our posts on social media!

Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/LehighDM

Twitter: https://twitter.com/Lehigh_DM