Your Ultimate Gym Playlist

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Leeds chapter.

March is upon us, and by this point it’s highly likely that the majority of our new year’s resolutions have already been broken. New Year, new who? One month in and after the stress of exams, those fitness goals have sailed well and truly out the window. But don’t worry, it’s not too late! All you need is a little bit of inspiration to get you back on track; forcing yourself to get out of bed and head down to the gym is the hardest part.

Luckily for you, Her Campus has the perfect solution to keep you motivated once you’ve finally left the comforting embrace of your bed. Exercise can be a gruelling process, but the perfect song can help to lift your spirits and make you run that extra mile. 

So, here are our top ten workout songs! These are guaranteed to get you treadmill thumping, muscle pumping and ready to sweat: 

1) Lose Yourself- Eminem (4:52) 
This rap classic from the ‘8 Mile’ soundtrack has been voted the ‘Best Running Song’ by Runners World, with more than 1200 nominations. Try to resist the urge to scowl at the mirror and throw rap signs in between each arm curl though, you don’t want to scare off any fellow gym-goers!

2) Pon De Floor- Major Lazer (3:40)
With 127 beats per minute, this house hit will see you breaking a sweat in no time. In case you’re unfamiliar with the song, it’s also the backing tune for Queen B’s ‘Run the World.’ The beat fits in surprisingly well with the cross trainer, so it’ll also get you moving that little bit faster.

3) Stronger- Kanye West (4:26) 
Rap at its finest, Kanye is bound to motivate you to strive to shift those extra fifty calories on the treadmill. If it doesn’t kill you, it can only make you stronger. 

4) Cinema- Benny Benassi (3:03)
This year eight throwback is bound to get you pumped and raring to go, increasing your adrenaline with its upbeat rhythm.

5) The XX- Intro (7:00) 
Whilst ‘Intro’ hasn’t got any lyrics, the intense build-up of drums will definitely lift your spirits and leave you feeling like you’re running to save the world in the next Avengers’ movie. Unfortunately, it’s more likely that you look like Simon Pegg in Run Fatboy Run… 

6) Britney Spears- Work Bitch
If someone shouting ‘You want a hot body? You better work bitch!’ doesn’t motivate you to push yourself that extra mile, then I don’t know what will. 

7) Pump It- Black Eyed Peas
This infectious R&B anthem will see you pumping it to the max in no time. 

8) The Dog Days are Over- Florence and the Machine 
This fast-paced Fruity classic is essential to any workout playlist. After all, if you’re running for your mother and your father (and your sister and brother…), surely you can do better than that! 

9) Hypest Hype- Chase and Status
Chase and Status are renowned for their blend of drum and bass and dubstep, and their unbridled anger and rage in this track is all you need to make it up that last hill.

10) Life is Life- Noah and the Whale
This song genuinely inspired me to get out of bed at 9am on New Year’s Day and go for a run to ‘change my ways.’ See if it works for you!

So, there you go! Now you never again have to be subjected to the bland beats of the Edge radio, or the heavy breathing of a nearby cyclist. You’re welcome. 

Sources

Hey, I'm Kate! I'm a second year student at Leeds University studying Business Management with a love of fashion.