This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Leeds chapter.

Ciao a tutti!

Sorry I haven’t written a blog in a while; the last month of term was a bit hectic. To recap: after Halloween, I visited Berlin, Rome and Malta. Hence why my blogging has been a bit slap-dash and unorganized, but I promise: New Year, New Me (#standardnewyearspromise).

Anyway, Berlin is probably up there with the best places I have ever visited. There is just so much to do and to see, and to anyone considering visiting, definitely do a ‘walking tour’.  This is where you go to the town centre, and join a group where there is a guide who walks you around Berlin for an hour and a half and fills you with knowledge about the history and culture of Berlin. Every tour guide is different, but ours was extremely funny and made me genuinely want to learn more about the history of Berlin and Germany. I even cried a bit towards the end. Aside from that, I would say that without doubt the Berlin Wall is worth visiting (for obvious reasons, but the main being that it is an incredible sight) and also, if you get the chance, visit the Holocaust memorial. This is a harrowing experience, but also a beautiful way of immortalizing all the victims. Unfortunately, the museum that accompanies this memorial was closed when I visited, but no doubt this would also be worth a visit. If you are a bit of a drinker and in a decent sized group (or just in need of a very big drink, I guess!) I would recommend getting a stein in one of the many pubs/bars. It’s pretty cool, because in effect you get a massive pitcher of alcohol delivered to your table and can act as bartender for ten minutes and serve your own drinks! 

Brandenburg Gate, Berlin

Berlin, just being beautiful

The same day I got home from Berlin, we set off to Rome. I was absolutely knackered, and mildly regretting the decision to go to Rome when I was told I would be on the coach for around 10 hours, surrounded by loud and highly excitable Spanish boys for the duration. It’s safe to say that I was ridiculously relieved to arrive in Rome, at 9am in the morning, after setting off at 10.30pm the previous night. The whole trip was a bit of a shambles organization wise, however, Rome was not to be missed. 

A coach full of tired, but excited Erasmus students on the way to Rome!

The Colosseum was pretty impressive, but had some structures up all over one side, and is our tour guide informed us it is constantly being rebuilt and restructured. It did look incredible though; I don’t think anyone could prepare you for just how big and vast it is. Another highlight was The Vatican, there was lots of impressive artwork inside and I took my time going round and enjoying the many tapestries and art on show. We spent a weekend in Rome and had an amazing night out with ESN Italy, where we went to a club hired out entirely for students, and there were thousands of people there, which was pretty surreal. Whilst I liked Rome, I also felt quite unsafe there- I was unaware that mugging was so common there and was stood next to my friend when she got her phone stolen, making me feel on edge for the remainder of the trip. I would recommend Rome, but be careful with your valuables and be prepared for masses of tourists with their selfie sticks in the air! 

The Colosseum, Rome

Last stop for me travel-wise before Christmas was Malta. I hadn’t planned to go to Malta, but with a three night stay in a hotel for just €35 I couldn’t resist! I was so shocked at how hot and humid Malta was in December compared to Bergamo, and we spent the first day there relaxing on a nearby beach and swimming in the pool, which was unbelievable for December! I also wasn’t expecting the nightlife to be so good: with its stack of bars and nightclubs and drunken tourists falling out of them at around 11pm, the St Julien’s strip reminded me a bit of Magaluf! Drinks were cheap and the strip was right next to our hotel, resulting in a very entertaining first night, and a brilliant 21st birthday for my American friend, Jess. The next few days we travelled round the island, and also took a ferry to a nearby island, Gozo. Gozo is a very historical little island and we took a sightseeing bus around it to get a quicker tour. Undeniably, my favourite part of Malta was seeing the Azure Window; a beautiful arch made of limestone said to be around 28m high. My friends and I, stupidly, were actually joking about jumping off of the Azure Window, until we saw it in person. People have been known to jump off the top of it, but it is obviously incredibly dangerous and the sheer height of it terrified me enough. I would recommend Malta to anyone as it is incredibly beautiful and also cheap for alcohol, food and travel, and I cannot wait to go back there and explore some more. 

St Julien’s, Malta

I couldn’t resist a selfie in front of the Azure Window

Pretty skies in Marsalforn, Malta

So that brings me pretty much up to the last week or so before Christmas, and it was my 21st birthday on the 17th of December, so we decided to have a house party that evening. I was feeling homesick having never been apart from my parents for my birthday before, and so was more looking forward to going home on the 19th rather than my birthday itself. So, imagine my surprise when my parents rocked up to my apartment with one of my flatmates that morning, having come just to take me out for the day! I felt incredibly lucky and spoilt, and took my parents to my favourite restaurant and gelateria, before saying goodbye to them after such a lovely, but fleeting visit. I then went on to have a brilliant evening and felt thoroughly spoilt by my lovely Erasmus friends, as well as still in shock over the fact that my parents had actually come to see me for my birthday!

My friends Zenia, Jess and I on my birthday

Dad and I enjoying Bergamo’s best gelato

I’ve recently returned to Bergamo for my second semester, and whilst I was somewhat reluctant to return initially, it now feels a bit like a third home (after my actual home, and Leeds). I have exams for the next few weeks, and will give you all an insight in to the somewhat interesting Italian exam system in my next blog…

Thanks for reading and ciao a tutti!

Ella x

P.S. if you want to follow my adventures more, my instagram is @theduffella, and mainly contains lots of food and pictures of all my adventures!

My name is Ella Duffy, I'm 22 years old and a recent graduate from the University of Leeds. Proudly once was co-president for Her Campus Leeds!