This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Leeds chapter.

In a fit of madness I agreed to go vegan for two weeks and write an article about it.

Over the summer I saw a documentary on Netflix called Vegucated, which follows three people who commit to veganism for a period of six weeks. While I had previously thought that being a vegan meant having a misconception of the body’s chemistry and its biological needs, it turns out there are actually some very compelling reasons to switch to this diet.

1. The victims. Killing animals for consumption is part of the circle of life. I’m sure those lions you see in the David Attenborough documentaries aren’t worried about the morality of the situation because it’s ‘just nature’. However, the way humans harvest and consume animals today has gone so far past a natural process that the ‘circle of life’ justification can’t cut it. We only have to Google ‘battery farm’ and a horrendous plethora of images will come up; the animals that live in such places are subject to cramped conditions, cruelty and a poor quality of life.

2. Health. It is claimed that veganism can eliminate the risks of diseases such as heart disease, obesity and even cancer. While the idea may ring alarm bells for those who see the unlimited benefits of lean protein, a well-structured, plant-based diet provides copious amounts of vitamins and minerals to provide energy, a ‘youthful feeling’ and good skin.

3. The environment is suffering. You may know that cows pass a lot of gas, which is a pollutant, but there are other reasons, too. The processes involved in producing the packaged meat we pick up from the shelves has a negative impact. For example, the amount of grain feed needed to support livestock means deforestation has to occur, leading to destruction of trees and habitats.

4. The problem of world hunger. A vegan diet is far more sustainable because it is more efficient in feeding a family. Keeping animals for consumption uses a great deal more land than growing crops, meaning that with a rising population and limited space it makes sense that we should adapt to fit a vegan lifestyle.

Of course, a ‘real’ vegan will avoid animal products altogether. I realised at the start of my two week quest that many of my clothes would be deemed unsuitable as they contain wool fibres or leather. Nevertheless, I decided to proceed by changing what I was eating, believing it to be challenge enough.

To be perfectly honest, I was dreading it but I felt confident. I arrived at the supermarket with high hopes and made a beeline for the dairy section to find my vegan alternatives. Sure enough, I found soy milk to replace cow’s milk. I glided towards the cheese, where I was certain I’d find some cheese for people who are lactose intolerant. I’d heard of a brand called ‘Lactofree’ which catered for such needs, serving up all kinds of delights like cheese, yoghurts and spreads. What could possibly go wrong?

Well, as it turns out, ‘Lactofree’ products contain cow’s milk. The reason they’re suitable for people who can’t eat dairy is because they make everything with bacteria or enzymes that break down the lactose. With a heavy heart, I continued my search, landing on the only cheese alternative that was truly vegan. Here’s what I got:

Sure, it looks harmless enough despite the questionable colouring. Yet my first taste of this stuff made me recoil in horror. It really is gross. Accompanied with the fact that I had to sacrifice the feta cheese in my fridge, this was a serious low point. I bought two packs of ‘Cheezly’ and, despite my vegan venture being over, 99% of this imposter cheese remains.

Back in the supermarket, I sorrowfully continued my mission. For meat, the shining beacon that is ‘Quorn’ beckoned me with open arms. I piled in steak, sausages and burgers – it was hard to contain the urge to let out a victory cry.

If only the story ended there. A sinking feeling took over my whole person as I realised that I had not properly checked my treasures. I looked at the ingredients and I must report with a sigh that ‘Quorn’ may be vegetarian but it is not vegan. The range contains dairy products like milk and egg white and so things had gone from bad to worse.

I will not bore you with an exhaustive list of what I ate, or a diary of my day to day diet. Instead I would like to share with you what I learned.

Sugar-coating aside, being a vegan can make you genuinely miserable. Although I have to admit that I did feel lighter and less sluggish in the first week – as many advocates will promise you – over time I had to put this down to a general lack of nutrition. There were times I felt so hungry I could have cried but I did feel less tired. Now I am back to my regular diet I feel as though my energy levels have dropped, although we will have to wait and see if this is simply my body readjusting. As a student, expense was always going to be a key factor. Cutting out meat and cheese did mean I spent less, which is a clear bonus, and I also lost a few pounds as the diet promises. 

Still, on an individual level, being vegan does not work for me. My body clearly hated it and the added stress of having to buy specific food is something no student needs. Nevertheless, I cannot ignore the arguments for it. I have decided to make a conscious effort to consume fewer animal products. I am by no means a convert but I am willing to go some way to try and make a difference. In the end, I feel I earned the victory meatball wrap I made as reward for myself – with real cheese.

By Anna Owen.

Photos: my own.