The Ultimate Trends for Spring/Summer 2017

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Leeds chapter.

The Ultimate Trend List For This Spring Summer 2017

Even though the weather doesn´t seem very spring-like in Leeds right now, the renovation of fashion is here once again. After analysing the catwalks in London, New York, Paris and Milan Fashion Week, we’re awash with exciting new trends to try ourselves.

This spring/summer term can be summed up in two words: feminine and unstructured. These two concepts sound like they have nothing in common but the magic of fashion make them coexist like no other couple.

Let’s start with the basics…

COLOUR:

• Thanks to houses like Balenciaga and Céline, “pink is the new black.” We are going to see this super girly colour in all its versions.

• Another one we’ll be seeing a lot of is yellow. Thanks to pop culture, this tone will be the ultimate go to in terms of buying dresses. The Emma Stone dress in Lalaland and Beyoncé in her Cavali for Lemonade are not a coincidence. Can you resist the temptation?

• And last but not least, the all-white look that is going to fit in with every special occasion this summer, easy to wear… and difficult to clean!

PRINTS:

• First up is the stripes sensation. This is mainly in white and blue with this trend being named the “banker stripes” with a masculine touch. Houses such as Mulberry have been heavily putting them in their shows.

• Florals head to toe by Chloé and Balenciaga. You may say that is not very original to talk about flower prints in spring but it is what it is! Sometimes fashion has a conservative point, also, we are sure that you already have something similar. Huge flowers = a look.

• And the most reinvented one… very 80´s. This is an extremely popular look with street style. Maria Grazia Chiuri’s for Dior debut for the French house, “we should all be feminist” message T-shirts have been a hit, with a direct and empowering message for women is a viral promise.

The predominant decade is going to be the 80´s, this trend started last fall and is not going to be a passing one. Leave space in your wardrobe for metallic material pieces, sequin dresses and miniskirts with Rodarte and the new Ives Saint Laurent setting the rules. Your favourite Rock band t-shirt and a pair of fishnets tights are now your best friends.

In the fashion world, the modification of patrons is now a reality. The classic forms are being reinvented in order to bring some fresh air into the millennial generation. The upcoming season is going to be dominated by the unstructured touches. Asymmetric shirts and the cut-out in strategic places trend are for making maximum impact. The oversized trouser (like in Balmain) create a new vision of what is proportions and elegance.

Frills, flounces and ruffles everywhere is the ready to wear look which is becoming romantic this 2017. From shirts to trousers, the volume reached a new expression in the street style of the fashion weeks.

Poetry is back, if you have been dreaming of being a punk princess or a sexy ballerina, now is your moment. You are going to find hundreds of see-through, peekaboo pieces made of tulle and embroidery. This style is promoted by Valentino and Dior.

Fashion Tip: find a cute and comfy bralette to wear under or over everything.

A wardrobe renewal is always fun and fashion is made for having a good time. In terms of style, we should adapt the trends to make them a part of our personal expression and not the other way round. Sometimes it’s easy to lose ourselves inside trends but the key of a good outfit is making any piece an extension of us.

Picture credits Collage Vintage

https://es.pinterest.com/collagevintage/

http://www.collagevintage.com

Silvia Calvo