Travel blog: New York, New York!

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Leeds chapter.

I thought this week I’d talk about the most magical place on earth, New York City. This place definitely lives up to expectations!

Having never visited America, my sister’s 21st present to me was ten days in the Big Apple, so as you can imagine I was extremely grateful and excited! We stayed in Times Square which I have to say is exactly like everything you’ve seen in the films. It’s bright, it’s loud, and it’s busy. As you walk along the sidewalk people try to convince you to go and see the latest Broadway show, while New Yorkers move about their busy, normal lives. The big screen lights up the sky, and the buildings come to life with digital adverts for the latest products. Yellow cab after yellow cab, beep after beep this city really never sleeps! As you move through the crowds, the grids on the floor let out steam – something which I really believed only happened in the movies! The sweet smell of roasted nuts is carried along with the busy traffic, and if you stop for a second, a thousand people will walk past you in that moment. Whilst in Times Square, climb the famous Red Steps, and look over the madness, the amazement, that is New York City.

Head west to 5th Avenue to see the world-famous Empire State building towering over you. It’s so huge that it almost doesn’t feel real! The city really is like a movie set that you get to go and explore! Go to the 86th floor for a 360 degree view of New York City; from Brooklyn to the Bronx, the view gives you a perception of this amazing place.

Spotting the Statue of Liberty out in the water and the huge green land of Central Park further inland you realise just how much there is to do on this relatively small island. Being so high above the city, you’re not subject to the chaos and noise that fills the blocks. Instead, everything is smaller, and calmer as you watch lines of cars cross avenues like toys, and silhouettes of people marching across the roads.

After spending a good few hours at what felt like the top of the world, we decided that we wanted to once again be amongst the herd of people moving across the city. Our next stop was Madison Square Park to get a sneak peek at the Iron Building. Shaped like an iron, this building is a great example of some pretty cool architecture! We then went to Macy’s, the world’s largest department store. Sadly I couldn’t afford anything in there, but if I could, I doubt I would have seen much more of the city since I would have been trying on the entire shop. It was incredible!

The next thing on the To Do list was, of course, the Brooklyn Bridge. This was incredible. Fantastically built and with an amazing view, we strolled across it, leaving Manhattan and entering Brooklyn. From this side of the water you get a view of the whole city and believe me, it really does just take your breath away.

The following day we were up bright and early after having a very American breakfast of a bagel with cream cheese. Well-fed, we were on a boat to go and see Lady Liberty up close and personal! It’s actually a lot smaller than I thought it would be, but still so cool. 

We decided to be brave and climb up to the crown of the statue. Just as a piece of advice – it’s a great view, but perhaps not great for anyone who doesn’t cope well with small spaces! I had a bit of a moment half way through where I had to stop because of the narrow nature of the spiral stairs! Fortunately, I kept going and got to the top. Sitting on the walls of the island you get to see the New York skyline unfolding before you. Simply spectacular.

Another must-do is New York City Public Library. It features in a tonne of films and it’s just so pretty!

Whilst you’re in that area, go to Grand Central Station, it’s crazy busy and there’s so much going on there. People are travelling state to state, city to city, or even just catching the subway to work. We jumped on the subway and headed all the way downtown to the Bronx to see the Yankee Stadium. Unfortunately it wasn’t open when we visited, so I’ll have to go back and actually watch a baseball game there sometime soon!

However, we did get to go to Madison Square Garden and watch the Knicks. I don’t know much about basketball, but it was super fun and very American! We’re talking hot dogs, cheerleaders, beers and a break every five minutes for some New Yorker to take centre stage and say something to the audience! Definitely an experience I’d recommend, even if you’re not really into sports.

Towards the end of the trip we went to Ground Zero and the newly built Freedom Tower in honour of those who lost their lives in 9/11. This was both very startling and extremely sad, but so very beautiful. It was so different in comparison to the rest of New York, as while it was busy, it was also peaceful. Everyone was there to respect and remember those who had lost their lives in this tragedy. The two ponds that fill the former foundations of the Twin Towers are engraved with the names of all those who died. Whilst we were there we also went into the World Trade Centre Museum, which was truly shocking and thought-provoking. At the same time, it was also strangely comforting, as it showed the good in humanity in retelling the stories of people around the world who had offered to help during such dark times.

Our final day took us to the beautiful Central Park. This was by far my favourite place because it was really well-maintained, and because it was so lovely to be near nature but also surrounded by towering buildings. We walked through the park, past the rivers, over numerous stone bridges and ventured to the John Lennon memorial.

I really could visit the park every day. It had a really fun, happy atmosphere, with people riding their bikes, children playing, and even couples getting married! It was unlike any other park that I’ve been to, and I will be sure to revisit! After the park we ducked across the city to the Rockefeller Centre, another must. Another fantastic building, and an even more fantastic view.

Finally, make sure you get a Shake Shack while you’re there; they do the best burgers I have ever tasted. And head into Soho to go to some cool bars, or get the most delicious cupcakes. Shop on 5th Avenue like you’re a film star, and head to the East side to see the crazy huge houses that are owned by some of the richest New Yorkers. Go to a Broadway show, they’re incredible – we saw The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Night-Time.

There’s so much to do in New York, and I have so much to say that if I could tell you it all I’d write a novel, so go and see it for yourself! There really is nothing like this jungle of a city, and I can honestly say that it would be a dream come true to live there!

Images

All images are writer’s own.