This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Leeds chapter.

The Christmas season is well and truly upon us and the numerous Christmas snacks, parties, drinks and dinners are not good for the waist line. I’m a firm believer that you should have a completely balance life style- everything in moderation is the way forward. Christmas only comes round once a year, so I don’t think anyone should be passing up opportunities to have drinks with friends or movie marathons with the family because of the fear of a podgy belly. However, there’s definitely a few ways you can keep fit over Christmas so that when you get back to the gym in dreary old January you don’t feel like you’re about to faint on the treadmill in your now too tight leggings. 

I’d like to add, I’m by no means a fitspo Instagram gal (I wish) but I do like to try and keep fit and eat as well as I can. So, I’ve compiled a few – entirely unofficial – guide lines for the normal everyday guy or gal for trying to stay fit this Christmas.

GO FOR A WALK- now I know this sounds entirely dull and obvious but it’s a great way of getting a bit of exercise every day. After a big lunch or on a particularly boring morning get your family together and head out for a nice walk. Considering it’s advised you walk around 10,000 steps a day, I’d say I usually walk around 10 steps during Christmas – to the fridge and bag. So going for a walk, even just for half an hour ensures you’re keeping your body moving. If you’ve got a dog it’s even better! Or get really adventurous, and if you live near a big hill, get some hiking in- it’ll kill your legs! Instead of tucking in to a baileys hot chocolate after lunch, get outside and just have one when you get back!

BEWARE OF BAILEYS- Speaking of Baileys, it’s important try to stay aware of just how much alcohol you’re consuming! It’s so easy to drink loads during Christmas; a glass of mulled wine here, a baileys hot chocolate there and of course Buck’s Fizz for breakfast. Even if you’re not eating ridiculous amounts but the pounds are piling on, stop and consider just how much alcohol you’re actually drinking. By all means have a drink and enjoy yourself, but on a Monday lunch time ask yourself if you really need that extra glass of wine? 

HOME WORK OUTS- Another thing about being home for Christmas is you don’t really want to head out to the gym. It’s cold, it’s much more inviting to stay home and watch The Grinch. Or you might be like me and not actually have a membership to a gym at home (and I’m not forking out £5 every time I go!) but that doesn’t mean you can’t get a good circuit in. Have a look on Instagram, or on Google or take a few of your favourite mat workouts from the gym to do at home. Even if it’s for 10-15 minutes before bed or just when you get up- it’s better than nothing! If you can’t think of a circuit yourself, go on YouTube there’s a work out video to suit everyone. A few of my favourite YouTube work outs are;

• The Body Coach- Joe Wicks who specialises in 20 minute killer HIIT sessions. (plus his shredded bod makes you feel like you’ll be sashaying down the VS runway within the week.)
  • Blogilates/PopPilates- her Call Me Maybe squat challenge means you can sing while you squat. (Squatting just got better)

HEINZ (BEANS OR WEIGHTS?)- This is pretty similar to my last point but if you don’t have a plethora kettle bells lying around your living room-don’t fear. When you’re at home you don’t have to live off beans on toast and tins can be great alternatives to light weights. Grab some books or even a younger sibling or pet (I often squat my little sister), it might not feel as professional but it does the trick! One of my favourite things to use is a resistance band, they’re like giant elastic bands which you can be incorporated in to all sorts of exercises to make them that bit harder. And bonus, you can pick one up pretty cheap on amazon.

THE MORE THE MERRIER– I mentioned squatting my sister, she finds it hilarious but it actually makes it more fun for me. We also make our own little routines or sometimes get a bit competitive to see who can plank the longest. Having someone to do exercise with not only makes it more enjoyable but encourages you to get off the sofa if you’re doing it together. Also – with family, especially siblings, as I said it does tend to get a little competitive and this can only be a good thing when it comes to keeping fit!

I know these points are all fairly obvious and I’m not saying fitness should be on the forefront of your mind over Christmas (it certainly won’t be in mine), but fitting in a bit of exercise very day will make January’s busy gym seem a lot less bleak.

Image 1- http://www.bing.com/images/search?q=fit+santa&view=detailv2&&id=79824DEE…

Image 2- <http://www.bing.com/images/search?q=heniz&view=detailv2&&id=1F745ABBF01EC37AE2914AFE9721A4D1DA08BF0E&selectedIndex=12&ccid=HhXfDM3X&simid=607988261659739412&thid=OIP.M1e15df0ccdd7fd3ba562dbeba808c701o0&ajaxhist=0

Image 4 – http://www.heinz.co.uk/products/beans/ranges/beanz/heinz-baked-beanz