This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Leeds chapter.

Special Occasion Outfits

Once again the summer season is here, it gives us the exuse to dig that dress out that you bought thinking ‘maybe I’ll have an occassion to wear it next summer’.

Finally, the time is here and the aim of this post is to give to you some background information about how the protocol when dressing for summer occasions and for making sure that you don’t lose your own style trying to wear some cupcake dress.

Firstly, it needs to be said that the most important thing to remember when dressing for an event is that you should always be comfortable in what you are wearing, if you don’t like pink, don’t pretend that magically you have changed your mind, this is not The Princess Diaries or at least, it shouldn’t be. Wear something you like, and that maybe you can reuse.

When deciding between a short dress or a long one you should take in to account the time of the day that the event is taking place. These are the rules:

Morning or Afternoon: Short dress, pastel colors and no sparkles

My piece of advice is pick any beautiful dress  or short jumpsuit that looks amazing on you, and accessorize it more or less depending on how dressed up you want to look.

Generally speaking, the smaller the bag the smarter to you will look. The same goes for your earrings and necklaces.

In any event, your hairstyle is important and if you wanna keep it formal then try something that takes all the hair out of your face, like a low ponytail or a bun.

And my final recommendation is don’t wear loud make up during the day, leave the fake eyelashes and the glitter for the nights out and use some nude tones.  

-Evening or Night: Long dress or cocktail dress, and night time gives you a license for sequins.

In an evening party, you have a million of choices, you can be bold and dramatic or just keep it simple if that is more you.

If you are not a huge fan of long dresses then you can try some smart trousers and a blouse or cropped top, but a cocktail dress full of sequins is also allowed, so just go for whatever you feel looks the best on you.

I would recommend wear a handbag and some metalic sandals.

In terms of style, I personally think that nothing beats the combination of a stunning dress up kinda outfit with a romantic hairstyle.

If you didn’t find my recommendations helpful then, follow Karl Lagerfeld’s advice:

“One is never over-dressed or underdressed with a Little Black Dress.”

Life is a party, dress like it!

Author: Silvia Calvo

All the photo credits: https://www.instagram.com/silvis_cs/?hl=es

Spanish girl living in Leeds and dreaming with Madrid. I study Journalism and Humanities, I am a fashion lover and that is why I'm here. Follow me on @silvis_cs