Profile: Alex Farley-Wood’s 3YP Challenge

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Leeds chapter.

This week Her Campus Leeds talks to our very own Events Director Alex Farley-Wood, who has been busy raising money for Phoenix Health and Wellbeing through taking part in the Three Yorkshire Peak Challenge. The walk consisted of a huge 24.5 miles, which is around 60,000 steps, (the equivalent to 394 flights of stairs!) and took just over 12 hours!

Hi Alex! So, last weekend you took part in the 3YP Challenge, how was that?

Honestly it’s one of the toughest things I’ve done in my life! I had no idea how hard it was going to be, I thought it would just be a long walk!

Did you do anything to prepare for the day?

Not at all! We went for a walk around the Ilkley Moors the weekend before but that was absolutely nothing in comparison. The only real preparation I did was bringing a pair of gloves!

You’ve raised money for Phoenix Health and Wellbeing, tell us a bit about the charity.

It’s an absolutely amazing charity I work quite close with. They provide counselling and complementary therapies for people who suffer with chronic mental or physical illnesses. They’re such a lovely team and particularly work close with The Alzheimer’s Society and Leeds Mind. I’m very happy to say I alone raised £174!

Why it was important for you personally to be a part of such a good cause?

I’ve been a part of quite a few projects that work with Leeds Mind, and think any charity that works with mental health is a great cause to raise for. Working close to Phoenix you can see the difference they make. Plus, I do love a challenge!

What was the highlight of the climb and what did you find most challenging?

The best part had to be the second peak, Whernside. The descent was crazy dangerous but we had so much fun we just laughed the whole way down and forgot how difficult it was! Also learning that I burned 7,000 calories, because I’ve let myself eat everything this week. The hardest part was definitely the motivation to keep going, the third peak was practically a vertical climb and I was so tempted to turn back!

Would this be something you’d do again, or do you have any other charity inspired events that you fancy giving a go?

I’d definitely do it again, though probably not too soon and with a lot more training! I love raising money for good causes and pushing my body for it, so if anything similar comes my way I’ll jump at the chance.

A big well done to Alex and everyone else involved in the 3YP Challenge over the weekend and all those who donated to this great charity. A little can go a long way!