The LUU referendum – what does it mean for the future of our student media?

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Leeds chapter.

Between November 26th and 29th, every student at the University of Leeds will be able to vote in favour of or against the motion:

“Should the Union’s exclusion of fascists and hate-speakers be extended to student media?”

The idea has been proposed by Charlie Hopper, the Equality and Diversity Officer. Fascists and hate-speakers are already not allowed to come and speak on our campus, because no student should feel unsafe. However, some students are calling for fascists and hate-speakers to be excluded from our student media. It would also cover any club or society publication. Her Campus obviously falls under this. 

Above: Our President Rosanna getting behind the campaign

What would actually be withdrawn is currently ambiguous. It would be up to the discretion of the union executive to decide what can and cannot be produced. However, here are a few examples of what may come under this:

• An article concerning a fascist or hate-speaker
• Interview with a fascist or hate-speaker
• Interview with someone who used to be a fascist or hate-speaker and wants to talk about it
• Creative writing from a fascist or hateful point of view
• Anything that involves a fascist or hateful opinion of the writer
• A book, film or music review of anything that involves fascists or hateful people or views
• Any pictures of fascist or hateful fancy dress e.g. Nazi uniform

The whole point of student media is for us to explore and engage with the lifestyles and opinions of others. Collectively, we are the next generation who are working hard to develop the skills we need to produce high quality media on local, national or international scales. Unfortunately some of us will never be able to have such a luxury. However, by independently researching and questioning everything the world tells us, we grow as people, and consequently so do our audiences. That is the most important thing of all.

To imply that it is possible for media outlets to please all of the people all of the time is completely unrealistic. A ‘no platform’ policy for student media would send us on a slippery slope towards becoming media societies that are bland, politically correct and potentially fearful of their own union. Those who do not like the work of media societies should simply not listen to, read or watch it. If we were to force our work down their throats, it would be an assault to their freedom of thought. If they were to censor us, it would cause grievous harm to our freedom of expression. 

Furthermore, no person in our student bubble has the right to vote for what we can and cannot produce. That is not democracy. That is one group of students oppressing the other. It undermines what LUU stands for and the point of living in an environment as academically diverse as a university. 

As media societies and their audiences we need to stand side by side against those who wish to censor our creative diversity. Her Campus and all the other media societies thrive through their creative freedom, and only by YOU voting NO between November 26th and 29th will it remain.

You can also join the cause and spread the word by liking the ‘Stop censorship. Save student media.’ Facebook page.