How Female Football Fans Are Perceived

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Leeds chapter.

How Female Football Fans Are Perceived

As a confessed football fanatic who has been watching my beloved Chelsea F.C since the very early days, it has come to my attention the lack of fellow female football fans. Particularly the general stereotypes associated with these women or indeed, women who attend any match. I’m going to talk you through some of the main concerns and stereotypes the female football spectators face when it’s match day and they get their kit on ready to support their team!

Football or Footballers?

There appears to be a general idea that most, if not all, women attend the match to have a good old look at some fit men in little shorts kicking a ball about. Now, I will admit this is appealing….however, when I’m watching a game I’m not waiting for a throw in so they’ll bend down and I’ll get a good look at their behinds (granted a quick glance naturally happens now and then) but my main concern is what is actually happening in the game. Yes, there are girlfriends and wives who attend with their significant others for the purpose of ‘spending quality time together’, but there are a lot of girls there who are actually present for the love of the game.

To yell, or not to yell…?

Okay, admittedly this is something I am always very uneasy about. When I was a lot younger, I sang my heart out, did all the clapping and the waving arms, but now that I’m older, and I’ve noticed the reaction women receive when they voice their opinion, I’ve become rather shy. Why? Well, because society has told me as a ‘lady’ I can’t swear, I should be polite and respectful. I feel like I’m writing an eighteenth-century conduct book, but unfortunately times haven’t really moved on all that much. If I was to voice my opinion, not only is it not ‘lady-like’ but ‘I’m a girl’ so what do I know about football? Annoying. Especially considering I’ve had the rules of football drilled into my head since I can remember. In fact, I like to think my first word wasn’t ‘mamma’ or ‘dadda’ but rather was an in-depth explanation of the off-side rule.

It’s a Man’s Game

Firstly no it’s not. I know a lot of women who are fantastic football players and would put a lot of men to shame. Yes, the male version is more popular but it doesn’t mean that the game is strictly for a male audience. Nothing annoys me more than when a man’s opinion in the pub or at the game is listened to and respected on the basis of his sex alone. I hear half the conversations, and most of them don’t make sense. In fact, most of the men with the biggest opinions have never actually been to a live football game, or have only been to that one that his dad got him for his sixteenth birthday (sorry boys, harsh but true). I, on the other hand, along with a lot more women, have been there from the very beginning. I’ve asked every question imaginable so that I have a clear understanding of the rules and what makes ‘good’ football. Yet, when my ideas are voiced, they are often neglected, laughed at or overlooked. A man who has only recently taken to the sport (which is totally fine) is more accepted as a ‘supporter’ or a ‘fan’ than a woman who has followed a team her whole life.

Girls, don’t think you’re getting let off that easy…!

Okay, so girls – not all of you – but some of you will have to take some responsibility here. And, it should be said that not all men have this opinion of women at the football! But back to you girls, if football isn’t your thing, that’s fine, but for those who go and then complain about the male’s behaviour at the game, you might want to step back a bit and realise this is a place for men and women to have fun, drink and cheer and get a bit rowdy. I, of course, am not here justifying any violence that occurs at football that, on all levels, is a massive no! But, if the lads are jumping around and having a sing song, let them be. Don’t pull a face and get all judgemental. No one likes that girl! If you’re going to go, try and embrace it. Yes, some things are horrendous and gross but embrace it, it really is a fun day when you get into it!

This article has images taken from:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/33156147

http://www.belfasttelegraph.co.uk/sport/football/euro2016/andre-schurrle-michael-mcgovern-can-be-a-premier-league-hit-34828352.html

http://sports.ndtv.com/english-premier-league/photos/leicester-city-complete-miracle-journey-by-lifting-premier-league-trophy-22014

http://www.bbc.co.uk/newsbeat/article/36593865/meet-the-women-following-…