Her Campus Reviews: Brunch at Ox Club, Leeds

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Leeds chapter.

Beat the post pancake day blues…

Pancake day is long gone, deadlines are upon us all and to top it off, it’s just started snowing. It’s safe to say end of February/beginning of March is no ones favourite time of year. Christmas is a distant memory, Pancake day (the best thing about Feb) is done and summer is still months away… If you’re feeling a little under the weather then trust us, it’s nothing a great brunch can’t fix- with brunch every weekend, pancake day can live on all year. 

And this weekend we were lucky enough to be invited down to the Ox Club to see if their brunch menu could put a smile on our faces this weekend, and it did NOT disappoint!

Ox Club Brunch, 25.2.18

Neither of us had been to Headrow House before but what a time to start. The quirky music and simplistic décor was a lovely way to start the day and very quickly the tables started to fill up. The atmosphere was very chilled out and there was a nice Sunday morning vibe as everyone seemed relaxed.

Georgina

The Ox Club Breakfast came with eggs, beans, sausage, bacon, homemade potato fries, tomato and mushrooms (though I exchanged the mushrooms and tomatoes for a slice of white bread). I was really intrigued to try the combination of fries with a traditional breakfast, at first I was a bit sceptical but the potato fries were crispy and fluffy inside and they really went with the other components parts of the breakfast. The bacon was crispy and had such a strong taste which was amazing! If you like crispy bacon this is the place to be. I think the sausages were my favourite part as they were perfectly cooked and had lovely flavours. They were different to your traditional sausage in the fact that they looked like a patty which I found great because it meant they had no skin on (I don’t like the texture of sausage skin). My eggs were scrambled and weren’t watery or too dry they went really well with beans which had tomato pieces in the bean sauce which is different to your normal beans which tend to be in a bean juice. It was really nice because they didn’t just taste like microwaved beans from a tin but felt like there was something you couldn’t get anywhere else! Overall, I thought the brunch was lovely and the menu choices have options I’ve never seen anywhere else! Chilled atmosphere + excellent food= a happy Georgina on a Sunday morning.

Anika

I ordered the pancakes with rhubarb and brown butter ice cream and I wasn’t sure what to expect. I have a sweet tooth so I was intrigued to see what it tasted like. Wow! It arrived in all its pink glory and looked absolutely incredible. This is a pink dream, I’ll say that now. The pancakes were thick and oozing with a scoop of ice cream and combined with the rhubarb made a complimentary taste. The rhubarb was kind of crunchy but it also kind of melted in your mouth making it an interesting topping. It was so filling I couldn’t even finish it. I think these pancakes were a luxury and would be ideal to try if you wanted to try some new pancake toppings. I tried bits of Georgina’s breakfast and really enjoyed the home fries – they were so crispy and innovated the traditional English Breakfast. The menu featured meals that sounded delicious and I’d like to return to the Ox Club to try the Korean Fried Chicken as this sounds unique.

If you like the sound of our meals then the Ox Club (@ Headrow House) is the place for you! Whether you take your friends, family or your partner you’ll be sure to have a pleasant and tasty dining experience.

Check out their website to book your brunch here!

By Anika Vadukul and Georgina Fenton

Image 3 from: http://www.olivemagazine.com/restaurants/yorkshire-humber/ox-club-at-hea…

The other images are authors own.