Fashion Blog – Paris Fashion Week

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Leeds chapter.

One of the most important weeks of the year in the fashion world calendar has to be Fashion Week. Last week French designers showcased their work in one of the most beautiful and romantic cities, Paris. Editors of high profile fashion magazines worldwide from Vogue, Elle and Harper’s Bazaar all gathered to see what was on offer and what we would all be wearing in the seasons to come. Here’s a quick round up of the shows that could not have been missed.  

1.       Chanel. I adore anything to do with Chanel. To me, no one can create more beautifully tailored pieces like Karl Lagerfeld. Following in the footsteps of Coco Chanel herself he ensures that his creations are never too far from Coco’s original vision of fashion for women – Clothes women can wear on a daily basis while still maintaining femininity and elegance. It is not just the clothes that are jaw dropping but also the overall production of the show. Lagerfeld created an enchanted garden in the Grand Palais as ethereally dressed models wandered along the catwalk.

2.       Valentino. Probably one of the most romantic fashion houses, Paris was the perfect place to showcase the Haute Couture Collection of Valentino. Intricate, detailed and just simply beautiful, the Valentino show also played with the inspiration of the outdoors. While Chanel focussed on flowers and the more natural element, Valentino emphasised details of garden gates, mazes and hedge rows. My favourite has to be this simple white dress with curled ivory bead detail around the neckline.

3.       Elie Saab. An  Elie Saab gown could never look out of place on the red carpet and it’s no wonder that so many celebrities choose to wear his designs because they are faultless. The long flowing gowns remind me of Versailles and French opulence. Each design is unique in its own heavily beaded, embroidered and intricately designed way. Elie Saab designs the most flattering, feminine gowns and the soft lilacs, roses and ivory gowns suggest that pastel colours are what we can expect to be wearing this Spring.

4.       J’adore Dior! Since Raf Simons took creative control of the French fashion house Dior, I have not been disappointed by the high standard of designs that have floated along the runway. Although many designs are similar to those he showcased when working at Jil Sander, Simons brings romance and enchantment to the runway. Models swanned through a maze of trees in tailored satin and silk voluminous skirts and dresses. Check out the sequin studded lips as well!

Images:

1.       http://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/lifestyle/fashion-beauty/chanel-paris-fashion-week-1549877

2.       http://www.graziadaily.co.uk/fashion/news/couture-fashion-week–valentino-spring-2013-collection

3.       http://www.graziadaily.co.uk/fashion/news/paris-haute-couture-fashion-week–live-at-diors-spring-2013-show