Fashion Blog – It’s a Sheep Thing!

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Leeds chapter.

So I was looking around online and noticed stuff about ‘Wool Week’ – being a textile design student it caught my attention so I had a little read and apparently our own Prince Charlie is patron of The Campaign for Wool. It’s a big collaboration set up to promote all the fabulous things about wool and to support all the farmers and businesses that depend on the success of the industry. This year’s ‘Wool Week’ is from October 15th – 21st and has loads of cool stuff going on such as a ‘Knitting train’, ‘Woolley Golf’ and this amazing display on the ‘Knitsbridge’ Harvey Nics store!

www.vogue.co.uk

Although most of this is going on in London, and many of us won’t be making the journey down south to go and see a giant ball of wool, there is something we can get involved in right on our doorsteps… With the uni work piling up and the cold weather closing in, what better way to relieve some stress than with a little bit of retail therapy and new jumper to keep you warm?!

This is where ‘Wool School’ comes in… 11 shops, including Topshop, M&S and Harvey Nics, signed up for ‘Wool School’, which gave loads of students all over the UK the chance to design a wool jumper for one of the shops. One student per shop was chosen to have their jumper design produced and in stores in time for Wool Week.

Now, unfortunately, most of the jumpers aren’t on the cheap side – and as we’re a good few weeks into our loans I’m guessing many of you, like me, don’t have a ton of spare cash to throw about – however, a few of them aren’t too badly priced, and they happen to be some of my faves too.

www.topshop.com

The jumper or jumpers in this case, designed by Henrietta Jerram for Topshop, are extremely cute, as well as bang on trend with the Fairisle patterns and colour palette. Not only will they keep you snug and warm but they’ll brighten up those drizzly days that we have so often in Leeds. At £48 each (and don’t forget that 10% student discount!) they won’t completely break the bank either.

http://social.marksandspencer.com

Also at a cheaper price is a jumper designed by one of our own, Leeds Uni grad, Natalie Mason! Designed for M&S, this great little jumper fits right into the trend of heritage with a modern edge and is reasonably priced at £39.50. It’s a versatile and fashionable piece that will look great layered up with or on its own, and you’ll also be supporting a fellow Leeds uni student!

www.hobbs.co.uk

Lastly, at £89, this one isn’t quite so cheap and may not be in everyone’s budget but I thought as it was still short of hitting three digits and it’s such a sweet sweater that it should be included. From student Emma De Vries for Hobbs, this chic jumper is right on the mark with its foxy motifs. First seen on the A/W catwalks at the likes of Burberry and Kenzo, the animal motif is everywhere on the high street so with this you really can’t go wrong – everyone needs an investment piece right? And living in Leeds, I don’t think you can invest better than in a jumper!

To see all the other fab jumpers and find out where to get them visit – http://www.campaignforwool.org/index.php/wool-week-2012/wool-school/jumpers/ – you can also find out more info about the Campaign for Wool.

So, get out there, support a good cause and come home, nice and toasty, in your new woolly jumper!