Campus Celebrity: Tom Pattison

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Leeds chapter.

With a New Year Her Campus caught up with another Campus Celebrity; Tom Pattison, President of English Society. 

1. Hi Tom, tell us a bit about yourself – where are you from, what are you studying, what are your interests?

Hi there, I am from Leicester where I have lived all my life. I’m very proud to come from the home of Walkers crisps, pork pies and of course Sam Bailey. I study English Language and Literature here at Leeds and I’m in my third and final year. Besides from my love of books, I am a big fan of TV and film. Especially ‘The Good Wife’ and anything directed by Woody Allen. I also co-host a show on LSR and really enjoy acting.

2. How did you first get involved in English Society?

For me it seemed the natural thing to do to join my departmental society straight away. I signed up as soon as I arrived in Leeds and I rather keenly purchased a lifetime membership and a ticket to the society’s opening night. I had such a blast at that first social it prompted me to continue to attend the society’s events throughout the year, before applying and successfully obtaining one of the two social secretary positions just before Easter.

3. What made you want to become President?

I wanted to become President mainly because of how invested in the society I had become by the end of my second year. I had such a great experience being a member and being part of the committee, I was desperate for that experience to continue and develop even further in my final year. It was after I hosted our ‘Weakest Link: Students Vs Academics’ fundraiser that I really considered running for the position, and I am so glad I did.

4. What does your role involve?

It’s quite difficult to define my role exactly. I would say I manage the general goings on of the society, and it is my responsibility to try and make sure we are giving our members what they want. I also chair our weekly committee meetings, which are always a lot of fun. This year’s committee are absolutely fantastic which makes being President so much easier!

5. Tough question, what’s the best thing about the society?

That IS a tough question! I think for me the society will always stand out most for being the place where I met some truly amazing friends. So I would say the best thing about the society is how useful it is in creating friendships.

6. So, what’s the next step for the society? What plans do you have for 2015? Or is there anything exciting coming up that we should know about? 

We have got so many ideas for semester 2; it is going to be absolutely jam packed. All of the committee are actually sitting down next week to map out the next 11 weeks which we are all really excited about. We have all new trips, socials and activities lined up, and we will of course be continuing our regular Bierkeller socials and weekly English Tea. Our two part welcome back extravaganza is happening in just a few weeks’ time. On Wednesday 28th January we will be heading to Bierkeller and on Thursday 29th we will be hosting an incredible quiz to kick start the new semester.

7. How can students get involved? 

Any student is more than welcome to join the society, whether they study English or not! You can purchase lifetime, annual or semester membership at any time via our page on the union website. If you want to know more about the society, just drop into our weekly tea in the English Foyer or drop me a message. Clearly I am rather biased but I really do think English Society is a fantastic place to have fun and meet new people.

8. Is there anything else you’d like to add? 

I guess I would just encourage people if they haven’t already to check out their departmental society. In my experience they are a great way of building a network within your course, and a great avenue in which to meet like-minded people.