Campus Celebrity: Natasha Mutch-Vidal

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Leeds chapter.

This week Her Campus caught up with the new President of African-Caribbean Society.

1. Hi Natasha, tell us a bit about yourself – where are you from, what are you studying, what are your interests?

I am currently a second year student here at the University of Leeds studying French and Portuguese. I was born and raised in London but heritage-wise I am half Caribbean and white South African. In my free time I enjoy reading classical literature and plays but also practising my violin that I have played for 10 years!

2. Tell us about how you first got involved with the African-Caribbean Society and a bit about what it’s about.

I first got involved with African Caribbean Society in my first year. I attended a few events and really enjoyed the vibe that the society gave off. In terms of the society’s aim I personally see it as to provide a platform to gain cultural enrichment both if you are from the Afro-Caribbean culture and if you aren’t. There is so much to be learnt from joining a cultural society so I would definitely recommend it.

3. What made you want to become President of the African-Caribbean Society?

I wanted to become president of the African Caribbean Society for a number of reasons. Firstly, I had never been in a position of responsibility before and saw such a role as a chance for self-development something that is invaluable! Secondly, I had a vision for the society to make it a blend of academic and social aspects so I thought becoming the president would be the easiest and most fulfilling way to get this put into action. Lastly, I wanted to focus on giving people more opportunities to boost their confidence, better their communication skills and, of course, make friends!

4. What does the role involve? How do you get the tricky uni/social/society life balance?

My role as president is to help showcase what Black history and culture has done to shape society today through a variety of different mediums like song, dance, film and poetry. The role is extremely challenging as you act as the face of the society and chase up others in the committee to make sure that they are doing their job. Regarding uni/social/society life balance even when I am out with friends I am constantly thinking about what else I can do for the society. It’s definitely a case of head-space, if I am not doing something society-based, you can rest assured I’m thinking about it!

5. What’s the next step for the African-Caribbean Society? What exciting plans/events do you have coming up this year?

For December we have an Otley run planned, one of the first we have ever put on! We are also really excited about our Cultural Showcase that we will be putting on in March alongside a Take Me Out style speed date with Leeds Beckett African Caribbean Society. We are also planning education film screenings like Malcolm X and getting some more influential speakers in.

6. What’s a typical week in the life of the President like?

A typical week is pretty hectic, between lectures I am usually in the Union talking to an Activities Officer about something or at the Student Activities Office asking questions for the society.  

7. So, last month was Black History Month, what did you get up to and why would you say it’s important?

For Black History Month we had over 20 events including film nights and speakers. We also collaborated with English Society, History Society and Islamic Society to bring events like Black Characters in Shakespeare, Black Politics in the USA, History of Tourism in the Caribbean and Mansa Musa and African Empires. I personally enjoyed these events so much as they opened my eyes to issues I had never even thought about before. I was even lucky enough to deliver the talk on Black Characters in Shakespeare as this was something I had semi-studied in my first year.

8. How can students get involved?

Students can get involved by finding us online in the cultural section of clubs and societies on the Union website. We also have a Facebook page: LeedsUniACS and another one called the University of Leeds African Caribbean Society

9. Is there anything else you’d like to add? 

Thanks so much for this opportunity and if you are reading this and like the sound of what we do please add us on Facebook as we are always grateful to increase our network!