Campus Celebrity: Lucy Kidson

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Leeds chapter.

This week Her Campus decided to go sporty and catch up with Treasurer of Kayaking Society, Lucy Kidson. 

1. Hi Lucy, tell us about yourself, where are you from, what are your interests and what are you studying?

I’m from Surrey, love outdoor sports, and am involved in quite a few at the university. I’m now in second year studying Applied Biology.

2. How did you first get involved in Kayaking Society?

I joined kayaking last year when my housemate took me along, he had been part of it before and I loved the people there so much that I ended up staying!

3. What made you want to be Treasurer and what does it involve?

I wanted to be Treasurer because I got to know lots of the previous committee and knew everyone running for it this year, I thought it would be nice to give something back and get to know all the new people joining the club!  Treasurer involves keeping track of all the money in the club and making sure everything is paid to the right people at the right time.

4. What’s the best thing about your society?

There are so many people passionate about kayaking, you can be a beginner or an expert, but there are also great social aspects so you can really get to know everyone in the club.

5. Any exciting plans coming up this year that we should know about?

We are all going away in a few weeks to NSR which I think is one of the best weekends away that I’ve ever been on; it’s a kayaking competition for British unis and is all run by the Competition Secs from Leeds Uni. There are loads of prizes to be won and it just has such a great atmosphere

6. How can students get involved?

They can come along to any of our Monday night sessions at The Edge 9-10.30pm and give the boats a try. There are also river trips every Sunday once you’re confident enough!