Campus Celebrity: Fure Denedo

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Leeds chapter.

Proud supporter of the #FreeTheNipple Campaign Fure Denedo talks to Her Campus about his week long experiment of wearing a bra to ‘find out what women are on about’ when we discuss our over-the-shoulder-boulder-holders. 

1. What’s your name, age and degree programme? I’m Fure Eyituoyo Denedo (very Nigerian) 21, and I do Economics and Philosophy.

2. Tell us a bit about your bra experiment – why did you decide to do it? At first, the bra experiment wasn’t much more than something we at the Tab Leeds decided to do in response to the Oxford article where the writer forwent her bras for a week. But as I began talking to some of my female friends about the issue, it became apparent that a lot of them wore bras merely because they felt they had to, and it sort-of became an experiment into double standards.

3. What exactly did you do? Well, pretty much just wore a bra for a week and made a fool of myself. Every day I had to clip the bra on (no cheating by slipping it over my head) and I didn’t take it off until at least 6 o’clock.

4 What are your highlights of your experience? It was pretty amazing to have people think at one point that I actually had breasts, and thought the situation was even weirder when I told them it was nothing but a padded bra.

5. And any low points? The lowest point was definitely when I couldn’t get the bra off, and I had to try and spin it around (nearly impossible) to unclip it, and when it came undone it hit me in the arm. I think I’ve still got the bruise.

6. Do you think this is an experiment other guys should try?

I think I would say so. I wouldn’t thoroughly recommend it to anyone, but it was certainly enlightening, and I think it could get a lot more guys to join the debate about double standards in society.

7. What’s the most important thing you’ve learnt from you experience? I realised strangely enough that I probably felt as weird wearing a bra as some girls would feel without one. Before, I would have merely put this down to the obvious anatomical differences and left it at that. But the experiment actually got me talking to other women about it – something I would probably never have done otherwise. Overall I think the experience was very worthwhile, though I’m not sure I’d do it again.

8. Anything else you want to add? I’m just very glad my foray into the world of womens’ underwear went the way it did. Oh, and #FreeTheNipple

To read more about Fure’s experiment, read his hilarious article here.

Image sourceshttp://leeds.tab.co.uk/2015/02/17/wore-bra-week/