Campus Celebrity: Ella Hadley

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Leeds chapter.

This week Her Campus Leeds chatted with with Ella Hadley (pictured on the right), VP of SLAPSoc (aka Spanish, Latin American and Portuguese Society). 

1. Hi Ella, tell us a bit about yourself – where are you from, what are you studying, what are your interests?

Hello I’m Ella and I’m from Nottingham. I’m a second year student studying French and Spanish. I’m looking forward to going to Lille in a couple of months for my term abroad, and then spending my third year in Spain- bring on the sunshine and the Spanish hotties! I’m a big sports fan, I like tennis and netball and occasionally like going out and having the odd drink or 7…

2. How did you first get involved in SLAPSoc?

I signed up for SLAPsoc during fresher’s fair to meet more people on my course. I went on the Barcelona trip in December last year and really enjoyed getting to know my course mates, it was from then on that I decided I’d possibly like to get further involved which encouraged me to apply for the position of Vice President.

3. What made you want to become Vice President and what does it involve?

After the trip to Barcelona, I really became involved in the society and decided to go for the committee so I could help plan trips and socials for current and future students.

4. What does being a Vice President involve day to day?

I meet up with the gang, organise socials and goings on in the society and help the president, Alex Kingsley, to oversee all of our hard work. It’s really fun getting to work with all of my friends on the committee and something I’d recommend to everyone.

5. So, you’ve just been to Madrid with the society, how was that?

It was really good, it was nice to meet some of the new freshers and get to experience more of the Spanish lifestyle and locals! 

6. What do you have planned for this term? Anything exciting coming up that we should know about? 

We have a couple of socials coming up in the next few months, an Otley run this coming Friday,  there’s a GIAG pub quiz in February, and the Modern Languages Ball in late March with the other societies in the language school.

7. How can students get involved? 

Sign up and become a member of SLAPsoc, get involved in with the socials and the sports team and put yourself up for election to become part of next year’s committee, it’s a lot of fun!

8. Is there anything else you’d like to add?

If anyone is thinking of joining a departmental society, I couldn’t encourage it enough. I’ve made so many friends through the society and had some really great experiences.