Become a Better You

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Leeds chapter.

For all students, whether you are a fresher or a golden oldie, student living is about gaining independence. In my opinion, the best way to do this is to be unique. University is all about standing out from the crowd, so ditch that high street brand for a bit of vintage, and make yourself more employable with the summer of a lifetime, weekly work experience, or an internship. You name it – Leeds has it all in abundance.

Dress sense is the one thing that makes an immediate difference. I am hoping you attended the Leeds Freshers’ vintage fair, or have visited Brick Lane, London, before now. For those of you who are unaware of the wonders of vintage; it is a fantastic way of making you stand out from the crowd in order to create a new, improved student identity. Not only is vintage often a cheap alternative to the high street, but it also enables you to create a one of a kind look, whether that is quirky, or vintage chic.

Leeds has many vintage options besides the annual Freshers’ vintage fair, from one-off shops, held above pubs in Leeds, where you can buy anything from jumpers to shirts by the kilo, to the permanent vintage shops scattered throughout Leeds, from the City Centre through to Hyde Park and Headingley. Think layering, think student chic. Leeds City is renowned for its eclectic mix of students; we aren’t afraid to look different and stand out from the crowd. You shouldn’t be either.

Leeds University Union hosts many vintage clothing events throughout the year. Expect numerous pop up vintage shops showcasing lines such as Dusty and Dylan, Mad Elizabeth, Headlock Vintage, and Blue Rinse, as seen outside the union on Wednesday 26th September. There are also permanent vintage shops scattered throughout Leeds:

• Cord (Elephant Monkee), situated on Woodhouse Lane
• Birds Yard
• Aladdin’s Cave (see website: www.aladdinscavejewellery.co.uk)
• At Leeds Corn Exchange there are brands such as Mad Elizabeth, and menswear brand Dirty Girl

One way of gaining some good vintage tips would be to attend the Leeds Fashion Show, which takes place annually. Seeing vintage first-hand is a great way to kick-start your imagination and to mirror looks with your own vintage purchases to make mainstream fashion cutting-edge. Similarly, the 100% Handmade Fair taking place on November 24th between 10.30am and 4pm at Riddings Hall in Ilkley is a great pop up market to attend.

So, you have your new look in the bag, and now you must get the body and mind-set to match. Leeds’ excellent sports facilities are perfect in achieving this. With its newly furnished Edge sports centre, Olympic-sized swimming pool, gym, sauna, climbing wall, and suites for classes such as yoga and body attack (the most intense work-out you will ever experience), you have no excuse to not get fit this year. In addition to this, the Edge offers free membership for all Freshers who are in halls.

As a student, I too experience that daily lack of motivation, the questions about what I want to do with my life (all of which are answered with a sigh), the long list of things I plan to do but never get round to doing. This year, I am going to be brave, and I am asking you to join me! Leeds prides itself on its careers centre and student union facilities, with a team on hand to advise you on up-and-coming job opportunities, volunteer work, fantastic work experience opportunities, in addition to the numerous clubs and societies. There is something for everyone, and this year I am giving RAG a shot.

Leeds RAG (raising and giving) is one of the largest societies on campus, giving you the opportunity to participate in many events which are tailored to maximise your enjoyment as you raise money for a good cause. For example, you can participate in raids, where you travel to a UK city, raise money during the day, and then spend the evening socialising as a group. This is a fantastic opportunity to meet new people whilst raising money and making a difference. Leeds RAG will be hosting a London Raid in November. There are also events throughout the year, ranging from skydiving to climbing Kilimanjaro. There are also opportunities to volunteer for a month in countries such as Thailand and Uganda. The possibilities are endless. Leeds RAG prides itself on raising money whilst providing life changing experiences. This would not only increase your employability, but help other people for many years to come. So for those of you who have dreamt of travelling for as long as you can remember and want to improve your CV, employability, and experience a new culture, join one of the international projects this year.

Alongside the many clubs and societies, Leeds also plays host to a number of careers and placement fairs in which you can gain advice on writing a CV, learn valuable interview skills, and speak to employers from across the UK. It is a great way to network and get involved with different companies in order to make yourself stand out. The Graduates and Internship Fair on October 15th, for example, hosted 99 employers in The Edge. Occasions such as this are a fantastic opportunity to network, discuss part-time employment, internships and work experience possibilities, in addition to gaining advice on the next steps you should take.

As one of the top universities and cities in the UK, let alone the world, Leeds prides itself on its student-oriented atmosphere, whether it is its fashion culture or the work opportunities. Leeds offers so many opportunities for you to improve yourself. So this year, strive to become that little bit more unique. Make yourself stand out.