12 Reasons why Autumn is the Best Season

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Leeds chapter.

Why does summer get all the love? I mean, sure, summer is nice and all – laying out in the sun by the pool, eating ice cream until you feel ill, and wearing sundresses all day every day. All of that is pretty great, but I’ve got a confession to make. For me, Autumn truly takes the cake for best season ever. It may be colder and the sky might have turned 50 shades of grey, but contrary to popular opinion, it doesn’t mean that everything has to be all doom and gloom.So, for those of you who think autumn is rubbish, I’m going to tell you all the wonderful things that you can look forward to in this fabulous season. 

1. Jumping in piles of leaves

Don’t deny your inner child this autumn joy. They don’t revoke your grown-up license for jumping in leaves! Why? Because it’s amazing. 

2. One Word: Flannel

Flannels, flannels and more flannels. As soon as the first leaf hits the ground every day is flannel day. It just wouldn’t be autumn without flannel. Not only is it super cosy to wear, but there’s just something about a guy in flannel that is super sexy, am I right?

3. Apple cider

IT’S AUTUMN IN A CUP! Plus, if you drink enough of it, it starts to tastes like love. YUM!

4. It’s the perfect excuse to go shopping! (Not that you really need one)

Once autumn makes itself known, it’s time to say goodbye to the many awful summer fashions (au revoir crocs and mandals). It’s time for chunky knits, plaid shirts (actually plaid-anything), long coats, infinity scarves, and most importantly, boots. Everyone knows that a stylish pair of boots can make any outfit on point. 

5. Halloween

We all know the (exciting) stress of picking out the perfect Halloween costume. Will it be pun-based, like the year you dressed as cereal killer (cereal…killer…get it?) Or will it  be the classic combination of hot and adorable, inevitably culminating in a cat costume? Or last but not least, will it be a character from the Netflix series you binged on the other week? Yeah, it’ll probably be the Netflix one, let’s be real. 

6. Spending all day in bed #noguilt

Once the temperature starts to dip to single digits and it is grey and miserable outside there’s nothing better than pulling the covers up and snuggling down into bed. We all know that autumn is the season to really veg out. Pillow and blanket paradise here I come!

7. Fluffy socks

After having been bare most of the summer, letting your feet retreat to the fluffy depths of some woollen socks is a great moment – it pretty much feels like you have a king sized duvet on each foot. Plus once sock weather comes around there’s no longer a reason to keep up those pesky pedicures. The pressure of choosing the right nail polish was getting to be too much anyway. Who needs that kind of stress?

8. Everything is an Instagram moment

All the colours make you feel like you’re living inside a Jackson Pollock painting. Instragrammers, seize the moment! 

9. No more shaving

When autumn comes knocking, it is goodbye bare legs and hello leggings. Legging weather means that we also get to bid farewell to razors – see you in spring! Bring on the leg fuss! Hey it’s extra insulation to keep you warm…don’t judge.

10. Oktoberfest

A great excuse to get absolutely wasted whilst rocking lederhosen – not that we need a reason to drink beer out of huge steins. This century old tradition has to be one of the most fun activities of the season. Bring on the beer!

11. It’s a new television season

No more re-runs…can I get an AMEN? All those shows that have been on hiatus are finally back on the box! You can now find out who survived that plane crash, life threatening disease or devastating break-up. More importantly though, you get to once again live vicariously through fictional characters’ love lives. Cue me sobbing until my face aches. 

12. Fall flavours

Pumpkin spice lattes anyone? Once the leaves turn orange everything magically becomes pumpkin-flavoured. It’s pumpkin season out there people. You better get used to it.

Image sources

http://anneburaupersonaltraining.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/09/pumpkin-spice-everything.jpg

http://unlockingkiki.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/01/giphy.gif

http://ell.h-cdn.co/assets/15/34/980×490/landscape-1440101307-msdclue-ec002-h.JPG

https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/736x/51/ff/ac/51ffacfb9d9c179516d3064482cbe301.jpg