10 Top Tips to Stay Healthy at Uni

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Leeds chapter.

10 Tips to TRY and stay healthy at uni

‘Freshers’ flu’ contracted by the vast majority of university students, it spreads like wild fire. It’s enough to make you stay in bed and miss lectures but doesn’t usually stop you from hair of the dog and another night out. Along with ‘freshers’ flu’ comes the freshers’ fifteen’ another vicious implication of starting university. As much as you convince yourself you’ll get to uni, you’ll make all your lectures and you’ll definitely go to the gym we all get sucked in to the cycle or drinking, being hungover, ordering pizza and drinking again. It happens to the best of us. So we’ve compiled our top ten tips to keep you feeling fresh and fit throughout university.

Unfortunately, there’s no quick fix for this. It’s usually getting in to good habits that keep you in good health.

1. Eat your five a day- this sounds so silly, but it’s so important. When you think about your daily calorie intake how much of it is made up of wholesome nutritious foods. Try and cook yourself instead of ordering take away or buying ready meals. Also, buy bags of pre cooked frozen veg, it’s super easy to just chuck in a sauce or stir fry.

2. WALK- being at uni makes it so easy to become immobile. Whether you’re too hungover to leave your bed or you’re ‘ubering’ around it’s easy to forget to move.

3. Don’t get drunk food- this is probably the hardest thing to stick to, when you’ve had a few drinks and you see the big golden ‘M’ it’s usually a sure thing. But limiting yourself to one takeaway a week or even cooking your own drunk food when you get home can be a good way to start.

4. Join the gym- actually paying for the membership usually encourages me to go otherwise it’s money going down the drain. It’s also a nice way to meet people and getting a ‘gym buddy’ can be super helpful. If you’re in halls then your membership is free, so definitely make the most of it.

5. Look at what you’re drinking- if it’s sugar filled cocktails, full fat fizzy drinks or bottles of wine then you may want to try switching it up a bit. Vodka, lime, soda’s are easy and lower in calories than other drinks. Obviously don’t give up pornstar martinis or your cheap wine but just switch it around every so often.

6. Take a packed lunch- sounds weird. You’re not at school. I started bringing a packed lunch in to uni mainly to save money but it’s actually a good way to make sure you’re getting in some wholesome food during the day especially if you’re planning a night out later.

7. Take vitamins- this might also sound weird, but at uni it’s so easy to become deficient in all sorts of vitamins. Taking a multivitamin every morning is such a good habit to get in to, also berroca is an absolute hangover cure.  

8. Sleep- not getting enough sleep is the worst thing for your body. Make sure you’re getting enough good sleep!

9. Drink water- making sure you’re drinking enough water is probably the most important thing you can do. Even if you’re super healthy in every other aspect but you don’t drink water it’s so bad. Invest in a water bottle and keep it with you at all times.

10. Balance is key- after all of this, balanced is still the healthiest thing you can be, enjoy yourself and have good and bad things in moderation!

There you have it, our top tips for staying fit and healthy at uni….good luck!

.