Self-Defesnse is no Non-sense

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Le Moyne chapter.

Did you know that in the United States, rape occurs every 60 seconds and mugging occurs every 51 seconds? The majority of the victims of these misfortunes lacked knowledge of self-defense.

Self-defense is more than just a karate kick to the groin or a jab in the eyes of an attacker.  Self-defense is doing everything you can to avoid a fight with someone who attacks or threatens you. I know this might sound a bit cliché, but it’s about using your smarts, not your fists.

Le Moyne College is not a closed campus, which allows anyone in to just walk on our campus. Many precautions have been taken in order to avoid this to happen to anyone on our campus, but althoughyou may think it won’t happen to you, it can!

According to The National Center for Injury Prevention and Control, women experience about 4.8 million intimate partner-related physical assaults and rapes every year. In a survey done by the center,  232,960 women in the United States were raped or sexually assaulted in 2006. Half of this number includes crimes that were not reported and still all together, that’s more than 600 women every day. The majority of  the victims of these are young women but it can happen to anyone! Mostly women around the ages of 20-24 are at great risk of domestic violence. The Justice Department estimates that 1 in 5 women will experience rape or
attempted rape during their college years, and that less than 5% of those rapes will be reported.

There is not any right or wrong way on how to defend yourself. Once in the situation, panic strikes, and causes many not know what to do.  So, here are 5 helpful tips to keep in mind:

1. Awareness: Awareness of yourself, of your surroundings, and your potential attacker’s likely strategies. 

2. Instincts: Your ‘Sixth Sense’, if you will. Your gut feeling is a powerful insight into situations and people. Learn to trust your instinct and use it to your full advantage.

3. Understand that you CAN and SHOULD defend yourself physically. Many women worry that they will anger the attacker and get hurt worse if they defend themselves. Wrong! Statistics clearly show that  your odds of survival are far greater if you do fight back. Remember, though, to use the element of surprise to your advantage. Strike quick because you may  only get one chance.

4. Pepper Spray: Although it can be useful, it’s important to know that it doesn’t work on everyone. 15-20% of people will not be effected when sprayed. Plus, if you fumble through your purse to get it out, chances are you are wasting time and the attacker is aware of your intentions. Never rely or depend on any self-defense tool or weapon to stop an attacker. Trust your body and your wits.

5. Yell ‘FIRE’: Yes, fire. People don’t usually want to get involved when they hear ‘help’, but ‘fire’ will draw the attention of whoever is present because their own life would be in danger.

An attack can happen to anyone, not just college women. Attacks on college students increases every year, and although one cannot control what happens, it is helpful to avoid being put in the situation. Syracuse is a scary place, especially at night, so avoid walking around at night alone. Use your common sense, and if you are ever attacked call the Le Moyne College Security (315-445-4444).

Sources:
Le Moyne College Security
The National Center for Injury Prevention and Control

Omairys, a born and raised New York City gal of the Dominican descent, is a motivated Communications/Advertising major, with a minor in English. She does not know what she will do with her Communications degree after graduation but is ambitious enough to hope it will be something promising, as this field has been her passion for as long as she could remember. She is actively involved on campus, as she is President of El Progreso, a multicultural organization that strives to raise awareness of the Latino community. She loves to travel: she has traveled to Kenya to work at The Nyumbani Program and will be interning at our nation's capital her senior year! She is hard working, and excited to bring change to her campus---Le Moyne.