Meghan Hughes Makes Us Smile!

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Le Moyne chapter.

Meghan Hughes is an 18 year old from Alpharetta, Georgia who is now an entrepreneur living in Los Angeles. But who is Meghan Hughes and why are we talking about her? 

Does the username MissMeghanMakeup sound familiar? If not, get on YouTube right now and look her up! This young woman has achieved major career goals through YouTube and she’s only scratched the surface of what she wants to accomplish. I first discovered her channel in 2011, when I was a sophomore in high school . Her channel has always been one of my favorites, simply because of how relatable she comes off in her videos. Some of my fellow HC writers adore her as well, so we reached out and Meghan was kind enough to answer some questions for us here at Her Campus Le Moyne!

So Meghan, for people who don’t know you, can you tell us what you do?

I make videos on YouTube as my job. I started out just talking about beauty & fashion, which are still passions of mine,but now my content ranges from advice videos, to videos about music, nature, positivity…pretty much anything that makes me happy, I’ll share on my channel.   

You have an eclectic channel. I’ve talked about your videos to my friends and family before but have never been able to pin-point exactly how to describe your channel. How would you describe it?

I like to describe my channel as a lil’ light to your day!  My main goal on YouTube is to leave my viewers with a smile after every video they watch.

What video would you pick for someone who has never watched you before to check out?

If  you want to watch a video of mine, I’d recommend my “Feeling Yellow” video :)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xHny7mmCtwA

It’s funny that you say that with a smile. You end every video by saying “Stay Smilin’” and have said in videos that you’re turning it into a movement. What is the “Stay Smilin’ Movement”?

This movement is something I created to start a chain reaction of positivity! Smiles are contagious. I say “stay smilin” at the end of my videos and through using it as a hashtag on twitter,  putting it on clothing, etc., I hope to spread smiles not only to social media, but to the whole world.

Wow! It seems like you have a lot in the works business wise. How does it feel to be an entrepreneur at such a young age?!

It’s extremely motivating, but at the same time, I’ve kinda always felt older than I am. I graduated [from] high school a year early and moved to LA when I was 17. I remember before I left my mom said, “I  get it Meg. You’re 17, but you’re really 22.”

It has got to be pretty hectic though… what keeps you sane?

Honestly… my calendar keeps me sane. I need to map out my filming, editing, & uploading, as  well as my daily life to be able to function!   

How do you go about dealing with stressful situations?

Meditation! It’s so important to set aside time to give your mind a break. Breathe in the good,  exhale the bad. That’s pretty much the gist of [it]. Anyone can do it! And frankly, everyone SHOULD do it! It would make the world a much more sane place.

And what advice would you have for anyone who wants to take an unconventional career path such as YouTube, blogging, etc.?

If you love it, DO IT! I really can’t stress enough how happy I am that I decided to pursue this  crazy dream of mine. As one of my biggest inspirations, Mod Sun, says, “Figure out what you  love to do and dedicate yourself to it entirely.”

That’s actually pretty good advice for any career goal. I know college isn’t really on your radar at the moment, but would you ever consider traveling  to schools giving motivational speeches about life without homework?

Funny that you ask that! My number one goal in life is to be a motivational speaker. I do it to a  certain degree on my channel, but I’d LOVE to travel around, spreading my positive message to  people young and old.  

We would love to get you to Le Moyne College if that’s something you’re passionate about. Okay, I promise this is the last “deep” question for you. What life lesson, up to this point, has been the most meaningful?

Living on my own in LA has definitely taught me my most meaningful life lesson. I’ve learned so  much about myself and [have] become a lot more aware of exactly what I was put on this Earth to do. I  moved here to kind of “find myself” and I’ve definitely found just that :)  

That’s amazing Meghan! Okay, now for some lighter questions! You have such beautiful hair… what’s your biggest hair care secret?!

Oh my gosh, I have so many…But my #1 tip for keeping your hair healthy is using no heat. It totally fries it! I wear mine natural, in a bun or in braids as much as possible.   

When do you feel most beautiful?

I feel the most beautiful when I’ve got a huge, genuine grin on my face. People should smile more!  

Very true, release those endorphins! One last thing: can you name five songs that Her Campus readers should go check out right this second?

1. Mod Sun- Tye Dye the Night  2. Amy Winehouse – Half Time  3. Halsey- Is There Somewhere  4. Local Natives- Ceilings  5. Nahko & Medicine for the People – Manifest

Awesome. Meghan, thanks so much for taking the time to chat with us!

If you’d like to check out Meghan’s channel and support what she does, all of her accounts are linked below.

YouTube Main Channel https://www.youtube.com/user/MissMeghanMakeup

YouTube Vlog Channel https://www.youtube.com/user/missmeghanvlogs

Twitter @MsMeghanMakeup

Instagram @missmeghanmakeup

A tattoo loving, social media addict with a slight coffee addiction. Stay caffeinated.
Songwriter. Lover of music, food, and man buns.