Made In The A.M. – Track By Track Review

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Le Moyne chapter.

One Direction released their fifth album ‘Made In the A.M.’ today. And it’s fantastic.

This is possibly the best album the boys have released. It’s certainly the most diverse. Here’s a track by track of what you can expect and why we love it.

1. Hey Angel

– We’ve been getting lyric snippets of this song for months on Harry’s twitter. It certainly isn’t what you’d expect from a song with the word “angel” in it. This song is very upbeat and has a solid drum track in the background. Regardless of the dissonance between title and content, “It’s a beautiful sound. It’s a beautiful noise.”

2. Drag Me Down

–  This one has been out for a while and they’ve already been playing it at shows. We know it well. Drag Me Down pumps you up and makes you ready for anything. The build-up in this song is still incredible a whole month after its release and still groovy.

3. Perfect

– The absolute shade of this song is fantastic. Now, there’s been no confirmation of WHO this song was directed towards… but anyone who follows the romance saga that is One Direction, might have their own suspicions. We certainly do. Shade aside, this song is another one to crank in the car with the windows down and just jam to.

4. Infinity

– Infinitaayayay is just a nice tune. Unlike on past albums (ehem Up All Night), each boy gets a decent chunk of the song to sing. All we can tell you is, the light show for this song is probably going to be really fantastic at their concert.

5. End of the Day

– All we know at the end of the day is that this song makes us really happy. It has a bit of a change up in feel between verse and chorus, but somehow that really works for them. This is another song where each boy gets to showcase his abilities. It also has a really snazzy little guitar piece at the end of it.

6. If I Could Fly

– Listen. This song is beautiful. Harry’s voice is like a Hershey’s Almond bar. It’s smooth and sweet, with a little bit of grit. Liam hits a delicious high note, reminding us that they don’t need ‘You Know Who’ to get that effect. We wish this song was about us and we are definitely going to imagine it’s being sung to us when we see it done live.

7. Long Way Down

– This song is basically the anthem of any failed relationship. It captures the struggle that is loving someone and knowing that it probably won’t work out. “It’s a long way down” is such a simple phrase, but it hits home.

8. Never Enough 

– The beginning of this song should be in a Lion King musical. And then the lyrics come in and you’re a little confused. We have to admit to you that this may be one case where a change-up doesn’t perfectly work for the boys. Nonetheless, there is something about this song that makes us bop. It’s probably the snapping.

9. Olivia

– We want to know who Olivia is and whether or not she can interpret the lyrics considering how fast the boys sing in this one. It’s really fun and has a little bit of a ‘Come on Eileen’ influence. There’s a nice instrumental background as well. 

10. What A Feeling 

– Realize we haven’t yet said this is a typical One Direction song? Well we’re still not saying it. We do not know when or how these boys evolved their sound, but it’s pretty evident in this one. Sure, it’s still pop and there are full band choruses, but there is just something about this song that makes you sense they’re going in a new direction.

11. Love You Goodbye 

– Liam. Oh Liam. He really brings the intensity to this song with his opening verse. There’s no other way to describe the feel of this song except, “My heart’s already breaking baby go on twist the knife.” If that line doesn’t entice you, we don’t know what will.

12. I Want To Write A Song 

–  This song breaks your heart into a million pieces and then hands it back to you in better condition than it was before. This song is the Pimp My Ride version of ‘Little Things’. It is so smooth and sweet with beautiful chords and their voices just glide through you like that relieving breath after you’ve been under water.

13. History

– This song has everything: chanting, stomping, clapping, a chorus you can’t help but sing along to, and one of the best bridges ever. History is an ode to fans, and a perfect finish to the album!
Brooke is a junior Communications major with an Arts Administration minor. She has a concentration in journalism and a strong interest in PR. Brooke's everyday life consists of trying to make other people feel good, drooling over One Direction, and making Harry Potter references.
Songwriter. Lover of music, food, and man buns.