Summer’s right around the corner and we know the best things about summer are vacations! No matter where they may be, a little time away from the regular scene is always a plus. We also know that being a college student, money is tight. So here’s our guide on how to have a fun summer vaca without breaking the bank!
1. The number one rule for any vacation is to PLAN ahead. Way, way ahead.
If you do this you’ll have all the time to save the amount of money you need to afford the trip and still have some cash left over. Also, whether you’re flying or driving your destination may be cheaper depending on when you book it.
2. Bring your own snacks, blanket, pillow, etc if possible. Anything you can get your hand on at home that you would have probably required spending money for, BRING IT. Save yourself $3 here, and $5 there. It adds up!
Here’s a few run down of the 101 for road trips:
- Have an amazing playlist – you won’t be able to survive trying to find the right radio channel in between states.
- Split gas- depending on how big the car is and how many people go, either way the cost will be much cheaper if the gas is split amongst each other.
- Have drivers! Do NOT road trip if you will be the only driver. It’ll tire you out before you even get to your destination and you’ll never get a break!
- Pack food in a cooler. – Now this may only work for shorter distances but if you pack a cooler with ice and stick cold cuts, bread, and drinks you can save yourself a stop at a diner for lunch and that money could go towards gas or personal usage.
Suggestions of places to visit this summer:
- Miami, Florida – This is a go to spot, especially if you’re 21+. You can road trip here as well as just fly but either way, you’re bound to have fun in the sun as well as soak in the night life Miami has to offer.
- The Grand Canyon, AZ– the ultimate road trip destination. Why wouldn’t you want to see one of the greatest wonders of the world?! You can pack a picnic and watch the sun rise or the sunset.
- 4 Corners Monument, NM– stand in 4 states at the SAME TIME! It may sound trivial and not very vacation-y but how cool is it to say that you visitied 4 different states in ONE summer?!
- California- anywhere, anywhere in Cali that you’d like to go. Of course, depending where you are coming from it may be a little more or less expensive but it’s so worth it if you follow the two tips mentioned above.