How To Keep Hair Healthy In Cold Weather

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Le Moyne chapter.

It’s the beginning of December, and you know what that means: despite the unusually warm weather we’ve been having so far this semester, the cold brutal weather is right around the corner. With fall comes the cold, and your hair may have trouble adjusting to this change in temperature. Follow these tips to make sure your strands stay healthy throughout the winter months.

1. During showers, rinse hair with cold water. Very hot water can really dry your hair out, so after you condition make sure you’re rinsing with cool or lukewarm water to keep your hair moisturized and shiny.

2.  Drink plenty of water to keep your skin and hair healthy and hydrated. This is a good idea during all seasons, but especially during winter.

3. Wear a hat to protect your hair from the drying wind.

4.  Try using special products formulated for moisturizing hair, such as Aussie’s 3 Minute Miracle: Moisture. Concentrate this on your ends, leave on for the duration of your shower, and then rinse out at the end. Use this kind of deep conditioning treatment once a week.

5. Wash your hair every two to three days as opposed to every day. Washing every day can strip important, healthy oils and nutrients out of your hair. On the days between washes, use a dry shampoo on your roots to get rid of excess oil. 

19. Junior at Le Moyne College. Obsessed with wine, friends, fun, and food.