Don’t Become an Ex for X-Mas

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Le Moyne chapter.

Meeting the parents of your lover can be very stressful experience. You may constantly worry about what to do, what they will ask, how to act. The answer is simple. Be yourself but a little toned down. But then you will ask “well what do you mean?” Well ladies, it is the first  time you’re meeting the parents; they have to get use to you first. The parents do not know much about you as just as much as you do not know much as about them besides what your lover has told you or them. So relax plus it is the holidays. Christmas is a holiday where most people are joyful, just like the saying “Tis the season to be jolly”. So don’t worry about the parents going through WWIII with you. So here a few tips on meeting the parents.

*What to Wear* What you should or shouldn’t wear…? Obviously, it’s Christmas, so more than likely you should pretty much cover up. No cleavage showing, no short skirts; you’re trying to impress the parent, not advertise yourself, so dress appropriately. However, do not over dress yourself like you are going to Cinderella’s ball. Wear comfortable non-revealing clothes. Look smart, clean, and PG appropriate.
*Don’t Over do the Makeup* If you’re a person who likes to wear a lot of make-up, wear less of it. The make-up you wear says something about you. Wearing a lot of make-up hides your natural self and you want to give the parents a sense of who you are. Little to no make-up is suggested but if it’s a day where you rarely had sleep, don’t look it, just apply a little make-up to help.
*How to Act* The way you act around you lover is fine, as long as you’re not smooching them the whole entire time you’re at the parents’ house. That’s a big no-no. Be calm and respectful and the same respect will follow. The first impression you make will be remembered by the parents so make a good first impression. Even though you should tone yourself down, don’t act fake. You don’t want to seem stuck up or childish. You want to be welcomed as a part of the family, so help out, and be polite at all times.
*Be Prepared* You will have a conversation with the parents and in order for them to get to know you more, they will ask questions. Be prepared to answer questions about yourself. Don’t be afraid to ask the parents as well, as long as they are polite and semi-professional–such as occupation, education, and probably some hobbies.
This is a time of bonding, telling a few jokes, and singing Christmas carols, so live a little. You’re meeting the parents who might benefit you in the long run whether or not you’re with their son. You might even find some interesting facts about your lover that only the parents
would know about. (Baby pics anyone?)
Junior Communications Major with a concentration in Journalism. Minors in Creative Writing, Art, English, and Business.