This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Le Moyne chapter.

This break treat your hair and save money. We know that you are buying gifts for the fam (and maybe for yourself)! So instead of going out and buying expensive beauty products, make your own at home.

For Itchy Scalp

The weather up here doesn’t help our hair at all. Neither does stress and staying up all night. This recipe only requires a few ingredients.

Mix 2 Tbsp of Lemon juice, 2 Tbsp of Olive oil and 2 Tbsp of water and then massage into a damp scalp. Let it sit for 20 minutes and then rinse and shampoo your hair.

For Limp or Fine Hair

The eternal struggle of someone with thin hair is the search for body. Well I have the solution: beer! This alcoholic beverage can be found everywhere. Buy a six pack or steal a little from a friend.

Put flat beer in a spray bottle and spritz your dry hair to structure and body. The whey protein stays in the strands after the beer evaporates giving the desired effect.

For Buildup

The best way to start over and take care of your hair is to get rid of buildup. Buildup is the residue left behind from your shampoo and hair products. Shampoos and conditioners contain silicone which coats your hair and begins to accumulate over time which is extremely unhealthy. (Technically speaking we shouldn’t be using shampoo but what can you do).

Mix 1 to 2 Tbsp of baking soda and a small amount of water until a paste forms. Massage the paste into damp hair at the scalp and let sit for 15 minutes. Rinse with water (really well) and then shampoo as normal.

All these products are simple to find- head to wegmans or target! And what you buy will be more than enough to do these hair treatments over and over again. Buying the ingredients for these will cost you probably around $30 and then last you months. That is so worth it! Also if you’re really interested in making your hair healthier but don’t wanna give up shampoo, look into buying clarifying or healthy shampoos. I use Garnier Fructis Pure Clean line which is supposed to be 94% biodegradable. It contains no silicone, parabens or dyes which are bad for your hair and the earth.

I’ll be looking around campus for some fabulous and healthy hair!

Inez Timberger is currently one of two Campus Correspondents for HC Le Moyne! She is studying Communications with a strong focus in film and TV. Inez's life consists of everything pop culture and Netflix. She is also a part of LCTV, a student run TV news program, and Le Moyne Makes Movies. Inez enjoys fashion, makeup and healthy stuff. 
Asiana Smith is a Communications Major with a concentration in Public Relations and a minor in Sociology.