A Contradicted Romantic

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Le Moyne chapter.

As my college years quickly pass by, I sit and wonder what my life plan is. Do I have a certain criteria for the way I’m supposed to live, or should I just ‘wing it? My  imaginary life plan is to be successful in my career and be rich by the age of 26, be established enough to get married, and have kids.  Is this realistic enough?

I don’t know about the rest of you girls, but I am ridiculously in love with being in love. I am in love with the ‘happily ever afters’ and the perfect family. I am obsessed with the idea of having the best career and being surrounded with only the best people. I am also obsessed with weddings and everything about them.

I became infatuated with wedding magazines and wedding shows at a very young age. I remember spending the entire day watching WE’s “Wedding Sundays”. I would lie in bed and fantasize about fitted mermaid dresses with sweetheart necklines, color schemes, purple orchids, pink oriental lilies, mixed mariachi lisianthus’, and baby’s breath.     

As I fantasized about centerpieces, my mother would rudely interrupt, strangely out of the traditional Dominican character, “mira muchacha ponte a pensar en lo que importa, esas cosas de fantasia te van volver loca!” Stop living in a fantasy world?! But, I don’t understand why?! Everything is just perfect in my head. Why would I ever want to detach myself from it.

I’ve never been to a wedding, but because of my obsession with wedding shows, I am confident that I know enough. I can just picture myself doing the same as those women in the shows do. I want to be at least 24, already a successful magazine writer/editor, and flying to and from my comfy abodes in LA and NYC. My wedding is going to be impeccable, just like in my head.

I really wish someone would invite me to their wedding because I know those bells will not be ringing for me anytime soon! However, I must say, despite my obsession, and weird infatuation with the perfect wedding, I am okay right now. I am single, having fun, obsessed with lust and everything in between, and finding myself.  I’m not willing to settle down unless I have gotten everything I want and until I become what I call a boss.

Seems like I’ve answered my own question here.

Camlyn will be a senior at Le Moyne college in the Fall of 2012. She's majoring in Communications with a concentration in Print Journalism and is a Creative Writing minor. As an NYC native, Camlyn indulges in anything that involes fashion and daily lifestyles. She aspires to be something like the modern day Carrie Bradshaw, as a magazine journalist for one of her favorite magazines. She has interned with Mercedes Sanchez, founder of her own fashion and beauty blog, BeChicMag.com and ELLE Magazinge. Along with being a HC Correspondent, Camlyn is the PR representative to the Latino based club on campus, El Progreso.More than anything, Camlyn is just super excited to be a part of the HC team! <33 
Omairys, a born and raised New York City gal of the Dominican descent, is a motivated Communications/Advertising major, with a minor in English. She does not know what she will do with her Communications degree after graduation but is ambitious enough to hope it will be something promising, as this field has been her passion for as long as she could remember. She is actively involved on campus, as she is President of El Progreso, a multicultural organization that strives to raise awareness of the Latino community. She loves to travel: she has traveled to Kenya to work at The Nyumbani Program and will be interning at our nation's capital her senior year! She is hard working, and excited to bring change to her campus---Le Moyne.