Ashley Zannitto-White ’14

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Le Moyne chapter.

Our very own HCLMC contributing writer, Ashley Zannitto-White, sits down with us to talk about her many endeavors. Originally from Schenectady, New York, she goes from being the owner of Ashley Elizabeth Photography to HC and Dolphin writer to spinning batons – she’s been hiding a little celeb inside of her all along!

Year: Class of 2014
Major: Print Journalism
Minor: English

Professional photographer, HC writer, soon to be Co-Editor, your own column in The Dolphin, and Color Guard, on top of being a full time student. So the first question that definitely pops into my head is how do you do it all!?

AZW: Well, that is a good question! I do my best to keep my time organized. I was always pretty in high school as well, so that definitely helps. I’ve always like to be involved with as many things as I can! But there are still those moments when I have to scream into my pillow for a few seconds. I am only human. Otherwise, I wouldn’t have it any other way. I love doing everything that I do, and wouldn’t give any of them up for anything!

You’ve got so much going for yourself here! Did you plan to get a head start to be prepared for the real world or was it something you got involved in just for fun?

AZW: Part of me wants to say, yeah! I totally wanted to get a head start, but at first, I just got involved for fun. I’m one of those people that, when younger, I always wanted to grow up, but now that I’m almost there, I want to go back to being five and not having a care in the world! As time has gone on though, I’ve definitely taken it as preparation. Another reason why being so busy is a good thing! I’ve learned to meet a gagillion deadlines all at the same time!

COLOR GUARD? Oddly enough, I’d never heard of this until I moved to LMC. That’s a whole lot of hand-eye coordination! After 10 years, I’m sure you’re an expert but how long did it take for you to get the hang of things?

AZW: HA! I wouldn’t say expert! But yes, tons of hand-eye coordination. Actually, when I first started, I was horrible! It took me about my entire first year to actually retain the skills I was learning. Definitely didn’t get good overnight!

You even got the chance to go to Yankee Stadium! That’s in my hometown! How did you like it? Was it one of the highlights of your color guard career?

AZW: I’m a Yankees fan, so it was awesome!!! Haha, but in all seriousness, it was amazing! I would have NEVER imagined, 10 years ago when I was first starting, that I would even get the chance to spin in a place like Yankee Stadium in front of thousands of people! It was a crazy, heart-racing experience!

So I know you like both photojournalism as well as print journalism but which one is your first love?

AZW: Definitely photojournalism. I took classes for it in high school and had a blast! Even though I orginally came to LMC for Education, it quickly hit me that photojournalism was what I really wanted and was meant to do. As most people know, I love taking pictures and writing, so it just makes since that photojournalism is for me!

Print Journalism- Are you leaning more towards magazine journalism or newspaper journalism?

AZW: Magazine journalism, of course! My dream is to write for some big time magazine like Cosmopolitian! I would/might settle for Vogue or Seventeen, but Cosmo is definitely top of my list!

Well, who says you can’t do both!? Five years from now can you see yourself being both a photo journalist as well as a print journalist—or do you prefer to keep your photography business separate?

AZW: Well, I can totally see myself doing both, that’s for sure! But I think I would like to become a photojournalist with my own photography business on the side.

You mentioned you owned your own photography business, what is your favorite to photograph? What’s the most difficult? And tell us the ups and downs about the business, the nitty gritty!

AZW: Yes, I have my own photography business, Ashley Elizabeth Photography. I started it up 2 years ago, and I have a lot of fun! My favorite to photograph is people. We all tell such amazing stories, and being able to capture and portray that story in one of my photos is a great feeling. The most difficult…I’m going to have to say small children and pets. You would think they’d be easy because they’re just so adorable, but they never sit still! The ups about the business is that I can take it anywhere I go! Easy peasy! Also, because the majority of my customers are college students, I always have a job. There’s always some kind of recital or performance that people need posters for or just a family portrait for holiday gifts. It works out nicely. There aren’t really any downs, but if I had to choose something it would be that I just don’t have time to take pictures ALL day, even though I would LOVE too!

Ok, lets fast forward, the future, where do you see it?

AZW: After graduating from Le Moyne and getting my Bachelor’s, I plan on going to Grad School for Photojournalism. As of right now, I am thinking of going to Newhouse at SU, but there’s still time for me to change my mind, but I don’t think I will!

I might see you there!

AZW: YAY! I love company!Hopefully, if all goes according to my life plans, by then I will have met the love of my life, we will get engaged during Grad School and then shortly after graduating, get married and have 3 kids. I’ve always wanted all girls, but it really doesn’t matter. Then after they’re grown somewhat, we will adopt! I’ve always secretly wanted a little Asian baby named Lily!

I see someone loves Charlotte’s baby from Sex and the City! I’ve always thought I was one of the SATC girls too! But it sounds like you’ve got it all planned out there. Always good!

AZW: Haha, yes! Now let’s see if everything goes according to that plan!

I can’t let this interview end before we talk about being the TOP 5 in the COSMO “The Naughtiest Thing You’ve Ever Done” contest! CONGRATS! We don’t want to give away all the deets but tell us on a scale of 1-10, how scandalous is your “naughtiest?”

AZW: Hehehe, yes! I’m so excited! And actually, I’ve just recently found out that I’m now in the top 2!!! I’m only freaking out…A LOT! It’s definitely crazy, but it would be a dream come true! Hmm…well, I’ll scale it off of the story I submitted…I would say around an 8, but what do I know?!

How about a little sneak peek for our HC readers!
AZW: Well, if you know me, then you’ve probably heard the story. It’s scandalous to say the least. But for a summary, it’s about a girl who meets a guy in an awkward location and they end up together for a good period of time. In the end, when the girl goes to meet her guy, he’s with another girl…there’s most definitely more, but I want people to be surprised if and when they read it!

How do you feel about becoming Co-Editor of HC Le Moyne? I know I’m excited to work with you!
 AZW: I am SUPER DI DOOPER excited! I can’t wait! It’s going to be an amazing experience for me, and it will defintely benefit me for my future. I’m totally stoked to work with you as well! HC Le Moyne is in for some big time craziness!

View Ashley’s photography: http://ashleyephotog.webs.com/
Want a photoshoot? Need a photographer?
Contact her on Facebook: Ashley Elizabeth Photography
Tweet her:@AshleyE_Photo

Camlyn will be a senior at Le Moyne college in the Fall of 2012. She's majoring in Communications with a concentration in Print Journalism and is a Creative Writing minor. As an NYC native, Camlyn indulges in anything that involes fashion and daily lifestyles. She aspires to be something like the modern day Carrie Bradshaw, as a magazine journalist for one of her favorite magazines. She has interned with Mercedes Sanchez, founder of her own fashion and beauty blog, BeChicMag.com and ELLE Magazinge. Along with being a HC Correspondent, Camlyn is the PR representative to the Latino based club on campus, El Progreso.More than anything, Camlyn is just super excited to be a part of the HC team! <33 
Ivanna Abreu is a junior Communications major at Le Moyne College with a concentration in Advertising and minors in English and Creative Writing. She was born in the Dominican Republic, but was raised in the Bronx, NY. One of her greatest passions in life is the art of communication and how people relate and communicate with each other. Living in New York City only fostered this passion because her whole life she has been surrounded by different cultures and people. Ivanna enjoys writing and reading, specifically about human interest stories. She prides herself in having a great work ethic and unlike some she enjoys constantly being on the move and being busy. In her hands you will always find either her iPhone or coffee (or on a good day both). She also loves all things comedy and is always trying to make someone laugh.