Up and Coming Band to Watch Overnight

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Le Moyne chapter.

I met up with Jake and Rob just as they were leaving the dining hall.

“So you guys steal cookies too?” I said to them

Rob answered “Yeah, they’re so good.”

I agreed with him “I know right!!”

Rob McCall, 19 and Jake Toscano, 20 make up the band The Overnighters; a singer/songwriter type duo with impressive lyrics. This band is fresh off their 3-song EP recorded in a friends recording studio and are ready for their big break any day. Both guys are from their hometown of Baldwinsville, NY, and started a friendship in their Crayola days and are now sophomores living together at college creating their own music.

The first question I asked them was how they got the idea to start a band. Jake has been playing guitar for a while and writing songs while Rob just started learning guitar and also writes songs. Rob’s guitar teacher actually suggested that the two of them write and play their songs together. Thank god for teachers!

I then asked about their creative process when writing songs. They both kind of agreed on the fact that they both write lyrics and Jake usually comes up with the guitar parts. Then they tweak the song a little until they are both pleased with it.

When I asked the guys who some of their big influences are Jake immediately says “Ben Howard”, Rob nods his head in agreement and chimes in saying he really likes John Mayer, especially lyrically. They both also are influenced by the alternative band City and Colour.

The next question I asked is something we all want to know; what is the best part about being in a band?

“The girls!” Jake says jokingly as Rob gives a little chuckle and says “Just making the music!” “Yeah…” says Jake “just to play our music and have people say they like it.”

Next, I just had to know what their go-to song is to jam out to. They both agreed on “Any song by Ben Howard”.

Rob and Jake ultimately want to make music for the rest of their lives, but they do have back up plans just in case (hence the whole college part…). I don’t think the back up plans are needed for this duo. So, where will you see The Overnighters in 10 years?

“Dead” immediately said by Jake followed by hysterical laughter from Rob.

I chime in quick to say “I’m putting that in the article by the way.” You have to capture the real fun and humble smiles from these two.

Jake then gives an honest answer by saying “Ultimately to still be making music but if not, we’ll definitely still be best friends.” There’s nothing better than a successful lifelong friendship.

“Who is the first person you guys thank when accepting your Grammy Award?”

As usual, Jake chimes in first to say “I would thank Rob”

Rob answers “My mom”

Jake answers again “Rob’s mom”

At this point, laughter has erupted again.

I then got to asking Rob and Jake about their families, where both told me they receive endless support from their family members which is very important to both of them.

My last question to The Overnighters is “What can we expect from you guys this year?”

Rob says “A lot more live shows”, Jake agrees and says “Hopefully we can get in the studio over the summer and have a full length album by the end of summer.”

Sounds like a plan to me!!

I firmly believe Rob and Jake have a bright future in the music business. They have the talent, charisma, style, and ambition to succeed. So, support these guys in any way you can and spread the word! Music is too precious to not share with everyone!

Like their Facebook page:

http://www.facebook.com/TheOvernighters

Go to their band music site now to download their 3-song EP: http://www.purevolume.com/TheOvernighters

Camlyn will be a senior at Le Moyne college in the Fall of 2012. She's majoring in Communications with a concentration in Print Journalism and is a Creative Writing minor. As an NYC native, Camlyn indulges in anything that involes fashion and daily lifestyles. She aspires to be something like the modern day Carrie Bradshaw, as a magazine journalist for one of her favorite magazines. She has interned with Mercedes Sanchez, founder of her own fashion and beauty blog, BeChicMag.com and ELLE Magazinge. Along with being a HC Correspondent, Camlyn is the PR representative to the Latino based club on campus, El Progreso.More than anything, Camlyn is just super excited to be a part of the HC team! <33