411 on Holiday Nail Art

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Le Moyne chapter.

It’s time to put away those dark orange and brown Halloween and Thanksgiving nail polish and bring out the bright red, yellow, and green nail polish because it’s time for Christmas nail art. There many Christmas nail art besides the regular old red and white stripes for that old candy cane look. Here are a few along with video links, visual instructions and materials.

Snowflake Nails

Snowflakes are beautiful and so unique, well microscopically, but in real life they melt away in your hand. To
keep these little, white icy fluff alive, they will be on your nails and it’s real easy too.

Step1: Start off with light blue nail polish and add some glitter nail polish over them.
Step2: Next, use a striper tool, dipped in white nail polish, and make three intersecting lines.
Step3: Then, use a dotting tool to add white dots to the ends of the lines.
Step4: After, add a few more small dots over the nails, not to many, just a few.
Step5: Lastly, finish off with a fast drying (clear) top coat to seal the design and add shine.

Materials: light blue nail polish, glitter nail polish, striper tool, white nail polish, dotting tool, and fast drying
clear nail polish.

Holly Nails

The holly nails also known as the mistletoe are great designs for girls who enjoy the romance and joy of Christmas. Maybe they will get lucky under the mistletoe.

Step1: Start off with the usual French Manicure setup; clear base with white tips. (All)
Step2: Next, use a dotting tool, dipped in red nail polish, and create three small berries in the corner of your nail (middle finger nail).
Step3: After, use the striper, dipped in green nail polish, and create the leaves on the sides of the berries by painting a line coming out of the berries, and two vertical lines on each side.
Step4: Use two different dotting; one dipped in red nail polish and the other dipped in green nail polish. Use the two and make small alternating dots along the white tip on top the base coat.
Step5: Use a clear fast drying nail polish to seal the design and add shine.

Materials: White nail polish, red nail polish, and green nail polish, clear fast drying nail polish, dotting tool and striper.

Rudolph the Red Nosed Reindeer Nails

When we think of Christmas, we remember how our parents or any grown adult told us about Santa Claus. It was said that Santa had trouble one Christmas because was foggy, and guess was there to help after they made fun of him?… Rudolph the Red Nosed Reindeer! So in his honor you can paint Rudolph on your nails to show your appreciation on saving the children that one foggy Christmas.

Step1: Start off with a base coat and paint a brown circle onto your nail. (Middle finger nail)
Step2: Then use the same nail polish brush to add two little ears.
Step3: For the antlers, use a darker brown nail polish and either a small paint brush or tooth pick to draw two lines first then two smaller line to those two pervious lines.
Step4: Next, use a brush with red nail polish to create Rudolph’s big red nose.
Step5: After, use the dotting tool to create two big black circles for eyes. While they are drying use a red glitter nail polish on Rudolph’s nose.
Step6: Then, add two slightly smaller white dots to Rudolph’s eye (on top the black ones). And finish it off with an even small dotting tool to create smaller black dots to the eyes (creating the pupils of Rudolph’s eye) on top the white ones.
Step7: for the rest on the nails, you can paint the tip red with red nail polish and then use the red glitter nail polish on top or paint the whole thing if you have shorter nails.
Step8: Finish off with a clear fast drying nail polish to seal the design and shine.

Materials: Brown nail polish, a darker Brown nail polish, tooth picks, red nail polish, red glitter nail polish, dotting tools( three different sizes), white nail polish, black nail polish, and a clear fast drying nail polish.

*For Materials like the Striper and the dotting tool here are videos on how to make them.*

Junior Communications Major with a concentration in Journalism. Minors in Creative Writing, Art, English, and Business.