What Bernie Sanders Is Doing Now

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Lasell chapter.

Bernie Sanders was running on the Democratic end of the spectrum during the election against Hillary Clinton.  During the primaries, he lost to Clinton.  Millions of younger people were devastated because Sanders was the only one who supported their generation.  This progressive agenda included: creating jobs, raising wages, protecting the environment, providing healthcare for all, increasing access to higher education, reforming our immigration and criminal justice systems, reaffirming our civil rights, promoting a more sensible foreign policy, and reducing the influence of money in politics.

After the primary election, Sanders began to endorse Clinton.  In order to appeal to the younger generations, Clinton adopted some of Sanders’ policies, such as protecting the environment and making higher education more affordable.

On Nov. 8, 2016, Clinton was beat out by Trump for the President-Elect; no one was more heartbroken than Sanders.  

He released a statement to Variety saying: “Donald Trump tapped into the anger of a declining middle class that is sick and tired of establishment economics, establishment politics and the establishment media.  People are tired of working longer hours for lower wages, of seeing decent-paying jobs go to China and other low-wage countries, of billionaires not paying any federal income taxes and of not being able to afford a college education for their kids — all while the very rich become much richer.”

“To the degree that Mr. Trump is serious about pursuing policies that improve the lives of working families in this country, I and other progressives are prepared to work with him,” he continued. “To the degree that he pursues racist, sexist, xenophobic and anti-environment policies, we will vigorously oppose him.”

A lot of people must be wondering what this former presidential candidate has been up to now that the election is over.  Unsurprisingly, Bernie Sanders is doing exactly what he’s always done: fighting for the issues he believes in.

Many people are determined to have him run again in 2020, but Sanders has not yet confirmed anything.  His focus has been issued towards “Our Revolution.” This is a political group, created by Sanders, in an effort to materialize his efforts for the common people and turning them into a lasting political movement. He wants to make a progressive movement happen in the United States, whether he is president or not.  It can be seen as a fact that the title of president does not matter to him; he is only looking to make America more diligent and inclusive for everyone.

It looks like Sanders is not looking to leave politics anytime soon.  Democratic Socialism is a topic that he cares greatly about.

Madison Paloski is a senior at Lasell University studying fashion communication and promotion and graphic design.  She is currently the Editor in Chief of her school's chapter of Her Campus, an editorial stylist for POLISHED Magazine and Founder and Creative Director of the Fashion Styling and Photography Club on her campus.  She can most likely be found with an old film camera in hand, eating Chipotle, or at any local Saver's.  Her Instagram can be found at @maddiiiooyx and other work can be found at madisonpaloski.wixsite.com/portfolio.