Welcome to Lasell – a First-Year Perspective

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Lasell chapter.

What was it like being welcomed to Lasell? Well picture driving in to a cozy little suburban neighborhood, the sun shining, the butterflies fluttering in your stomach. It’s your first day, naturally you are going to be nervous, and excited, and depending on how far you traveled, a little car sick, but Lasell has a way of erasing your fear, and making you even more excited for what’s to come!  

When you check in, you make everything official. Lasell understands this and tries to make it as easy and friendly as possible. President Alexander himself stands at the door to shake the hands of you and your parents. If that isn’t a personal greeting, I don’t know what is. The system of check in was so efficient and so relaxing to know they knew exactly how to make the transition a breeze. 

The first experience with Lasell students (not including orientation leaders) is a greeting from students there to make your move-in easier! That’s right, they HELP you move in your belongings! One would expect upperclassmen that have already moved in to be watching you and judging you, but at Lasell, they actually help you make the day less stressful. Freshmen carried maybe two whole items to their dorms that day.  

After the morning rush of moving in, everyone was settled and going off into town for last minute items they may have left behind.  Freshmen received a packet at check-in which includes any local places to get last minute items or even things in the future, directions to these places, and even coupons. They were reading our minds, they gave us anything and everything we could have needed that day and the days to follow. 

The convocation was a nice way to celebrate the start of the journey at Lasell.  It was nice to have all the new students in the same room, which brought us all together. We even got free t-shirts which, as any college student knows, FREE stuff is always on our mind. This was a time to say goodbye to parents, but it was also a time to feel out how the next four years would be.  

The rest of Welcome Weekend was full of activities, from the Aquarium to the Boat Cruise. This trip involved almost all of the new freshman, and everyone dressed up. There was music and dancing and free snacks and beverages. You could see all of Boston’s beautiful night glow in the distance. This was the first night where real memories were made.  

If I had to give a rating on how the welcome to Lasell influenced my view of the school as a whole, I would have to give it 5 stars. This was just such a relaxing, stress free experience and I am glad to have chosen Lasell for this reason. All the thoughts running through your head the day before move in, the thoughts of a scary roommate, the horrible professors you might have, the mean upperclassmen, they were all for nothing. Lasell is a home, not a nightmare. 

Photos provided by 1, 2, 3, 4, 5