The Walking Dead Season Finale Not Quite There

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Lasell chapter.

You would think an important character would die in The Walking Dead season 4 finale, but the creators left us hanging. Viewers felt left down because there should have been a bigger more exciting ending to the season. So many questions were left unanswered.

Half the episode was made up of flashbacks to when the group were residing in the prison. The rest of the episode was full of intense situations. With shootouts and Rick becoming a monster, you would think the episode was building up to something so big and unexplainable the audience would think it was the best ending yet. Instead, we were left wondering what the main point of the episode was.

The best episode of a season is supposed to be the finale because it’s supposed to leave you wanting more. This episode did nothing for me. I thought that while there were some intense situations throughout, the best episode of the season was by far two prior to this when Lizzie and Mika died. It was intense and full of I-can’t-believe-that-is-happening moments, much what you would expect a finale to have. 

Some viewers were disappointed in the ending because there were too many flashbacks. Anthony Atwood, a faithful viewer commented, “They could have gone without the flashbacks and replaced them with more action.” 

While the flashbacks seemed irrelevant, they were important. They showed us moments when Rick was a pacifist, so immune to the violence going on around him. But as the episode went on, the flashbacks and present started to show the old side of Rick and the new. Rick isn’t the good guy anymore. He bit a man’s jugular off without a second thought. He was turning into a blood thirsty lunatic able to kill living human or walker without a sign of remorse in order to protect the people he cares about.

The cliff hanger was the worst end I have witnessed in The Walking Dead history. They could have killed off a main character to make things interesting. Although the group of main characters being locked in a cargo container was thought provoking, why end it there? It was strange that no one important to the show ended up dead. 

An interesting question is, “How are all the characters going to play out?” Rick is adapting to the way someone would transform into a Walker in a post-apocalyptic world. Now we have seven months to wait for all of our unanswered questions to be answered.

If I were to rate this season’s end out of 5, I’d give it a 2.3.

Angela is a senior communication major with a concentration in public relations, and is double minoring in legal studies and sports communication. She studied in Washington, D.C. during the Spring 2016 semester. Angela has interned with McGovern Law and the Washington Ballet. She once was in the same press conference as President Obama. When not in class, she can be found in the Brennan Library studying, in the one of the gyms on campus or taking a nap. Angela is a sports lover, buffalo chicken enthusiast, and future master sommelier.