The TV Show Reboot Fad

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Lasell chapter.

As of January 2017, there were 43 reboots, remakes, and sequels scheduled to release in 2017. These days, it seems that every movie franchise from the last 100 years is getting a reboot, being re-made, a sequel, or a prequel. It seems that in the news every day, there is a new spin-off, reboot, or sequel being made. I keep seeing advertisements and promotional videos for new shows and movies, but either are remakes or a spin-off that is 20 years too late.

Fuller House, Raven’s Home, The Good Fight. All of these are spin-offs of other, more successful shows (Full House, That’s So Raven, and The Good Wife). These shows are almost always never as good as the original show. In my opinion, Fuller House is nothing like its parent Full House. Most recently, the popular TV show Pretty Little Liars is getting a spin-off called The Perfectionist, based on a book series by the same author.

Disney is currently working on making live-action versions of Disney films. For example, Disney has come out with Cinderella, Beauty and the Beast, and The Jungle Book, all made within the last four years. Disney only has more up their sleeve, remaking other films like Aladdin, Mulan, Dumbo, and Pinocchio. Even though these movies differ from their animated-parent, it’s still the same storyline. I can already tell you that I know Mulan will save China and I know Aladdin will get the girl. I don’t need to see these new movies, I already saw their original film.

Hey Arnold, Rocko’s Modern Life, and other popular children’s shows are getting movies now. Hey Arnold and Rocko’s Modern Life ended when I was a child; today’s youth haven’t seen these shows. The movies are almost 20 years too late.

On top of that, other movies are getting sequels way too late. For example, The Incredibles, a popular Disney movie, is finally getting a sequel 13 years after their original. A teenager was born and turned 13 in the time it took for Pixar to give The Incredibles a sequel. I loved this movie, and it ended at the perfect setup for a sequel. I remember leaving the theatres with my mother stating, “whelp, there is the premise for the sequel”. I was excited, and waited for a sequel. I’m pretty sure this sequel will have nothing to do with the end of the last film, which is already disappointing. It’s too late for the sequel, why still make it?

Overall, I am tired of seeing almost every concept from my childhood and even before be remade into new films, get a spin off, or a sequel. If it is more than ten years later, it might be too late depending on the target audience. Some of these Nickelodeon and Disney movies/shows are too late, most children will not know who these characters are or their backstory.   

Kyle Mahoney

Lasell '18

Kyle Mahoney is a recent Lasell College graduate. Kyle majored in Communications with a concentration in Public Relations, with a minor in Business. Kyle has written for Her Campus Lasell for three years, as well with completing an internship with HCHQ Spring semester of 2018.