diego ph fIq0tET6llw unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
diego ph fIq0tET6llw unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

Tips for Moving Out of Your Dorm

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Lasell chapter.

When moving out of your dorm for the closing of your year at college, it is important to follow these crucial packing and moving-out tips to make sure you are fully prepared to pack your car and be on your way.

1. Pack bulky clothing, fridges, and bigger items first.

Packing up sweaters, jackets, and other chunky items first into boxes or bins and then into the car will make your life a lot easier. Placing them in your car before smaller items will allow you to able to move things easier and not try to shove a huge box into a fully-packed car.

2. Pack desk essentials into small organizers.

Packing items like pencils, glue sticks, push pins, and all other desk items into small labeled bins will help you when you are unpacking at home. If your things are labeled, you will be able to organize everything in your desk at home easily without wondering what’s in each box.

3. Have a parent bring up extra suitcases and storage bins.

Have your parent or whoever helps you move out bring up extra bins and suitcases. This will make it easier for you to fit things, and it’s easier for them to bring suitcases up rather than having empty bins and bags in your dorm all year, sitting around and taking up space.

4. Donate things you don’t need.

Usually at the end of the year, schools will have donation bins around campus and at the dorms to donate things you don’t want or need anymore. These are perfect for getting rid of old clothes, twin-sized sheets, furniture, unopened snacks, and other things you will not need anymore.

Good luck!

I am a junior Fashion Merchandising student from Stamford, CT. I have been writing for Her Campus since the beginning of spring semester, and am on the field hockey team, in the mini and Undergrad fashion shows,participate in Relay for Life yearly and Lasell's Senior Citizen's Prom,  and am a peer writing tutor in the AAC. At home I work at an ice rink and am a camp counselor for kids teaching hockey lessons, which is one of my favorite sports. I like working out, writing, listening to music, and going into Boston whenever I can.