Tips on How to Stay Safe

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Lasell chapter.

In light of recent events, it’s time to discuss sexual assault. It is time to reach out and let students know what’s what. Before continuing, readers please, take no words of this article as victim-blaming. The only blame in situations such as this should be placed on the one who has committed the act of violence, not whom the act was committed against. It is NEVER the victim’s fault. This article is simply to inform and (hopefully) prevent the unthinkable from happening. 

As much as the people say “Walk in pairs or groups,” the reality is sometimes that just doesn’t happen. Whether it’s planned or not, relying on a group of people to walk home with isn’t always an option. There are ways to be prepared in the event that you are assaulted. 

The students of Lasell, male and female alike are now asking themselves “How do I protect myself?”, “How do I keep myself and my friends safe?”

Tips To Prevent

If you’re listening to music as you walk home, keep the volume down or better yet, only have a headphone in one ear. It will help keep aware of your surroundings.

Strut. Walk with a purpose. Confidence (even if you don’t know where you’re going) will exude the air of “Don’t mess with me.”

Don’t let baggage weigh you down. Big purses, shopping bags, make you more vulnerable. In this case it is better to be walking with another person.

Make sure your cell phone is charged and easily accessible. Call a friend as you’re walking home and keep them on the line until you’re safe in your room.

Stay away from isolated areas. Especially those in shadow.

Tips To Protect:

Listen to your gut. If you get a bad feeling from someone, separate yourself from them. Start up a conversation with a friend or acquaintance nearby that you trust. If you’re alone and feel as if someone is following you, get to a lighted area, take out your phone and call a friend or your mom. Have them stay on the line with you until you’re home safely.

Turn everyday items into self-protection. This includes wearing rings with large stones and holding your keys between your knuckles with the long end sticking out. When and if someone is attacks you, it will up your advantage.

Use your voice. This is surprisingly difficult because people can be assaulted when they’re least expecting it. In the event you can, yell FIRE. People run towards the word fire because they want to help.

Stand your ground. Surprise attacks happen. But if you can, keeping your feet shoulder-width apart and planted gives you more power.

Go for the soft spots. The eyes in particular. And below the belt. Remembering to keep your thumb out of your fist if and when you punch or else it will break. You can also use the palm of your hand to push up into the attacker’s nose, breaking it. Not to mention that scratching them and marking them on their face in any way possible will help to identify the attacker later when and if you decide to go to the police.

Tips To Repair

Seek medical attention. This can be terrifying and uncomfortable, but the sooner you take care of your body, the sooner you can take care of the rest. Have someone you trust go with you. Having that support will make the process a little less painful.

Reach out. Tell someone you trust. But know that if you want to keep this personal information personal college staff and faculty are mandated reporters and are required to report assaults committed by or against a student if and when they find out.

Find an outlet. Whether that’s exercise, poetry, art, something where you can express and let out what you’re feeling. Join a support group. Knowing others with similar experiences are out there can help you feel less alone.

Look for help in other outlets. Counselors are trained to help you get through this. Organizations like BARCC (Boston Area Rape Crisis Center) have counselors prepared to help survivors like you to get through this.

Assault is NEVER the assaulted’s fault. In a better world, we would be educating people on how to not become an assaulter, instead of how not to become assaulted.

In a perfect world assault of any kind wouldn’t happen. Despite popular belief both men and women can be assaulters, and both men and women can be assaulted. The best way to protect yourself is to be educated, be aware, and be prepared. Become informed. Take a local self defense class or reach out to organizations like BARCC (Boston Area Rape Crisis Center) for more information.

To Find out more information, to figure out how you can help or to get help:

Case House and Center For Spiritual Based Life Counselors:

-Kate McCarthy-Health Educator Clinical Counselor email: kmccarthy@lasell.edu

-Tom Sullivan-Director Center For Spiritual Life email: TPSullivan@lasell.edu

-Janice Fletcher-Director of Counseling email: JFlethcer@lasell.edu

Boston Area Rape Crisis Center: 

–www.barcc.org

-24 Hour Hotline 1(800)841-8371

Massachusetts Coalition for Suicide Prevention:

–www.masspreventssuicide.org

-National Suicide Prevention Lifeline 1(800)273-TALK (8255)

To learn self defense techniques for yourself, check out the following videos:

Premier Self-Defence-Debi Steven Shows Self-Defence Techniques:

Women’s Self Defense: Level 1-Rape Escape

Haleigh West is an Honor's Student majoring in Fashion Design with a double minor in Environmental Studies and Studio Art. Her articles are centered around sexual awareness and relationship advice, with the occasional piece focusing on social justice from a feminist perspective. Outside of HerCampus, she runs Lasell's chapter of Active Minds, an organization dedicated to ending the stigma of mental illness on campus, and is an avid hiker who never stops exploring.As a self proclaimed "equalist" she is determined to live in a world where all are created equal. Free of sexism, free of racism, free of all stigma. A truly free world.