Stores With the Best Clearance Sections

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Lasell chapter.

As a college student, my favorite words are “sale”, “clearance” and “free shipping”.  Since my heart and mind are exponentially bigger than my budget, I scour the clearance rack frequently in search of cute items (usually clothes) for a price that won’t leave a hole in my bank account.  Since the holidays are coming up, and I’m sure that many of you are looking to get some thoughtful gifts on the cheap, here is a list of the chain retailers with the best clearance sections.

Target

As if there weren’t enough reasons to love Target, their clearance section the best.  Most of my wardrobe staples came from the clothing clearance rack, like the $44.99 Mossimo leather jacket that I paid a mere $13.48 for.  Beyond that, they have a dollar spot, full of the most adorable trinkets, all under $5.  I bought a mini Christmas tree there last year and it’s the most darling piece of décor (even though it results in a glittery mess).

Charming Charlie

Charming Charlie is my go-to store for cute novelty items, like Christmas earrings and dressy clutches.  Some of their merchandise is on the expensive side, but when it comes to clearance, they go all out.  I once bought a wallet there for $5 (said wallet only lasted me eight months, but I got what I paid for, I guess).  If you’re looking to get some inexpensive bling for your friend, sister, or mom, this is the place to go.  

Marshalls

Marshalls generally has good prices (it’s their whole business model), but their clearance section is even better.  I have yet to spend more than $40 on a Marshalls haul, between their regularly priced and clearance items.  Their clearance items aren’t relegated to “out-of-season” stuff, either — I have seen winter coats on sale or clearance in the dead of winter.  

Ulta Beauty

Makeup is expensive.  It’s a fact of life, but it’s a hard pill to swallow when you’re a makeup addict.  Enter the clearance section of Ulta Beauty.  While I’ve mostly encountered hair products there, every once in a while you can find a total gem, like an eyeshadow palette valued at $130 selling for $20.

These are just a few stores that boast awesome clearance sections.  You can fill the stockings of your friends and loved ones without emptying your wallet if you shop smart.  Happy shopping!

Cristina is a senior elementary education major at Lasell. She loves black labs, iced coffee, and reviewing every product that she has ever purchased.  When she's not freaking out about how many lesson plans that she has to write, she can usually be found with her nose in a historical fiction novel, listening to a true crime podcast, or taking pictures.