Sexposed: The Tinder Linger

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Lasell chapter.

Are you the type of person to know by just looking at a stranger’s selfie, that this someone is worth shaving your legs (and other various body parts) for? Is your attraction to someone based purely on the physical level? If it is, no judgment, be loud, be proud about it. Tinder, and other apps like it, is probably a great service for you.  But it’s still important to be wary and to use them safely. 

The horror stories warning us about online predators may not come to life at every right or left swipe on Tinder you make, but they had a point about being careful. Before pursuing sexual relations with someone you’ve met in the virtual world and not yet the real world, follow some guidelines to protect yourself. 

Don’t just make plans to meet in the middle of nowhere. Meet in a public place first or with a few friends. Follow that gut feeling. If you get a good feeling, go for it.  Take the risk if you’re feeling it. Just make sure that at least one person, whether it’s your roommate or your sister, knows where you’re going and with who. 

If something starts to feel wonky when alone with the new boo, or things start to go wrong, make sure your person (roommate, sister, etc.) and you have a safe word or phrase that you can text nonchalantly. This word should trigger a phone call or ‘emergency’ text that gives you a safe unquestionable reason to leave. Once again, it’s all about trusting your instincts. 

Okay, so you’re at that place. The meeting of two consenting adults ready to engage in a risqué rendezvous. Have the STD conversation, make sure they’re clean and recently tested.  You may think it’s awkward, but if you’re going to be a responsible consenting sexually active adult, this is important. Holding a mirror between your legs a week later trying to figure out just what’s causing that itch is not how you’ll want to spend your Saturday. Yes, they could lie, saying they’re STD free and not be. This is why we have condoms, kids.  Don’t let your common sense slip in the heat of the moment or you could be itching for a while, or get a nine-month surprise. Use common sense and keep safe, there’s no need for a baby or itchy bumps in college.

People meet in every way imaginable. There’s nothing wrong with meeting someone on a dating app, as long as you use the right precautions. Take care of yourself. Trust that gut feeling and use the head on your shoulders, not in your pants, for this.

Go have fun, just don’t be stupid. 

Happy hunting.

Haleigh West is an Honor's Student majoring in Fashion Design with a double minor in Environmental Studies and Studio Art. Her articles are centered around sexual awareness and relationship advice, with the occasional piece focusing on social justice from a feminist perspective. Outside of HerCampus, she runs Lasell's chapter of Active Minds, an organization dedicated to ending the stigma of mental illness on campus, and is an avid hiker who never stops exploring.As a self proclaimed "equalist" she is determined to live in a world where all are created equal. Free of sexism, free of racism, free of all stigma. A truly free world.