Say Their Names: Students Walkout for Justice

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Lasell chapter.

On October 20 at 1:30 PM many Lasell College residents walked out from their classes and other extracurriculars to meet at the Peace Pole. This walkout was to stand in solidarity with those who were victims of violence due to their social identity. The demonstration was planned by the Multicultural Activism class taught by Professor Jesse Tauriac.

“Our goal was to bring attention to something we feel hasn’t been recognized much on campus, which is the constant violence against minorities and the LGBTQ community,” said student Rebecca Van Spall.

Dressed in black, faculty and students listened while others spoke passionately about “black apathy” and “white silence.” Those who are considered allies were encouraged to use their privilege and speak up when they witness prejudice against a marginalized group and those who experienced prejudice to not get tired and continue to speak up. The demonstration  then continued with students and faculty placing flowers down and announcing the names of victims. This included those who lost their lives to police brutality and during the Pulse nightclub shooting. The event concluded with a discussion on self-care and how it is important during emotionally draining times.

The world can’t change overnight, but it is the steps people everywhere take, whether it’s organizing a walkout or standing up for a friend, that truly make a difference.

Raegan Cleary is a senior at Lasell College studying Fashion Communication and Promotion. She likes French Bulldogs and long walks to Chipotle. In addition to Her Campus shes been doing theatre for eight years and this spring she'll be in her fourth production of Vagina Monologues. In the future she'd love to become the next Miranda Priestly or the frontwoman in a girl-punk band.