This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Lasell chapter.

Maggie King

This past weekend, Lasell College held their sixth annual Relay for Life event. This amazing night was put on by a group of Lasell students, who organized events to keep the 301 registered participants occupied from 8am-8pm. This year’s theme was around the world to coincide with the American Cancer Society’s theme of ”Paint Your World Purple”. Every hour, Relay participants traveled to another country with their hosts J.R. Costello and Rosemary Ledger. Throughout the night, participants built a plane, and then “visited” China, the UK, Germany, Australia, Antarctica, and Egypt.

However, the night was not just about fun and games, it was about raising awareness and money for a great cause. While the games were going on below, a representative from each of the twenty-six teams participating walked up on the track, to represent the long battle that all cancer victims face. Each team gathered donations to sponsor their walk, and overall raised $16,800 and counting. This money goes directly to the American Cancer Society and the Hope Lodge in Boston, and contributes to raising awareness, increasing hospital standards, and medical research.

As a reminder to the terrible disease that has a affected so many of us, an Illumarari ceremony was held at midnight. During this, Lasell student Lindsay Tavarozzi told her story of how cancer has affected her. Afterward, everyone took laps on the track in solidarity with survivors and in honor of those who have lost their battle with cancer.

Overall, this was a beautiful event, put on by beautiful people, in honor of an amazing cause. Thank you to all of those who participated and donated, and Lasell sends their hearts out to all of those whose lives have been affected by cancer.

This year, Lasell College’s Relay For Life took place April 9th-10th from 8 pm to 8 am. Usually, Relay For Life lasts for 24 hours, but college campuses can have it for 12 hours. This years theme was around the world. Around every other hour, the country theme would change. Countries used were Antartica, China, Germany, United Kingdom, Australia, Egypt, and the

United States. All together, there were 301 participants, 26 teams, and raised $17,128 as of April 12! Totally awesome since the committee’s goal was to raise $16,000!

Kyle Mahoney

Relay For Life is an event by the American Cancer Society. People can sign up and raise money to help people with cancer. The money raised go towards research and services for those with cancer. Relay For Life’s theme is to Celebrate, remember, and fight back. The night always opens celebrating and honoring the cancer survivors attending the event. Everyone then joins as the survivors lead the survivor lap to celebrate their strength. At around midnight, the group remembers. A Luminaria takes place. At Lasell, we hear a speaker talk about their experience with death and cancer, and then we all walk in silence to remember all those who have passed on. At Lasell, a photo montage plays while music also plays. The whole theme of the event is to fight back. Every participant is helping fight back, by either donating or just taking the time to be at the event.

During Relay For Life, many games and events take place. This year every team had the chance to accumulate points. This was a great way to get participants involved with the games. The Lasell College Cheerleading team performed once, Pulse Dance Team performed twice, and Lasell’s acapella group the Spartones performed a few songs. There also were some speakers, a raffle, free pizza, and free breakfast. Also, free snacks were put out throughout the night.

Around 2 am, the country theme became Australia. Some of the games in Australia were absolute hits. The games were called Blinded By The Sun (blindfolded musical chairs), the limbo, and Shark Attack (Hungry, Hungry Hippos). As you can tell, there never was a dull moment at the event.

Although Relay For Life may have already ended, anyone and everyone is still about to donate on the page until August! Listed below is the link to donate!

http://relay.acsevents.org/site/TR/RelayForLife/RFLCY16NE?fr_id=73214&pg=entry

Freshman at Lasell College. Interested in fashion, feminism, and fearlessly pursuing my dreams.
Kyle Mahoney

Lasell '18

Kyle Mahoney is a recent Lasell College graduate. Kyle majored in Communications with a concentration in Public Relations, with a minor in Business. Kyle has written for Her Campus Lasell for three years, as well with completing an internship with HCHQ Spring semester of 2018.