Notable Celebrity Appearances in How I Met Your Mother

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Lasell chapter.

How I Met Your Mother, even though it is about a group of friends, has numerous celebrity appearances throughout the seasons. These celebrities either played themselves or a character. Whether they were a person’s significant other, a side character, or themselves, each appearance is great. There are more notable celebrities than you would think that appeared in HIMYM, including Speidi (Spencer and Heidi Pratt), Enrique Iglesias, and Katy Perry. Even though How I Met Your Mother has dozens of notable celebrity appearances, here is our top 15 in no particular order:

Jennifer Lopez: Anita Appleby

Lopez as Appleby appeared on Robin’s morning news show, met the group, and went on a date with Barney. Appleby is the author of a book called, “Of Course You’re Still Single, Take A Look At Yourself You Dumb Slut”.

Britney Spears: Abby

Britney Spears made a few appearances over a string of a few episodes. Spears played Abby, a receptionist at Ted’s then-girlfriend Stella’s office. Before Ted and Stella date, Ted tried surprising Stella and hinting at Stella he wanted to date. Sadly, Abby thought Ted was trying to win her heart, not Stella’s. Abby then becomes infatuated with Ted, until Barney comes along of course.

Bob Barker: Himself

What I appreciate about HIMYM are the obscurity of some of their guest-star ideas. For instance, Bob Barker is not the biggest person a television production would want guest starring on a series. This episode was centered on Barney and him thinking Barker is his father.

Sarah Chalke: Stella

As previously mentioned, Ted dated a woman named Stella. Stella was played by Sarah Chalke, whom most college students recognize from Scrubs. Chalke also starred on Roseanne previously.

Laura Prepon: Karen

Ted’s first girlfriend, Karen, was played by Laura Prepon. Prepon could be found in shows like Orange is the New Black and That 70’s Show.

Alan Thicke: Himself

Like Bob Barker, Alan Thicke is one of the last people you’d expect to guest star on the series. Thicke plays himself on his numerous appearances throughout the series. Thicke is one of Robin’s old friends from Canada and the two know each other very well.

Nicole Scherzinger: Jessica Glitter

Nicole Scherzinger not only sang for the Pussycat Dolls, but she sang as Jessica Glitter with Robin Sparkles. The two characters were friends as teenagers when the two starred on the educational kids show together.

Kyle MacLachlan: The Captain

Kyle MacLachlan plays a recurring role throughout the second half of the series. MacLachlan plays The Captain, husband of one of the gang’s friends and, later, Lily’s boss. MacLachlan’s character is obsessed with boats and prefers to be called the Captain. His character often makes boating analogies and always using boating slang in typical conversation. The gang is intimidated by the Captain, yet trust him at the same time. MacLachlan has had a long acting career. You might’ve seen him in Desperate Housewives, Sex and the City, and Portlandia.  

Kim Kardashian: Herself

Often forgotten, Kim Kardashian actually had a small cameo on the show. Although she wasn’t a physical character, Kardashian still made an appearance on the show via a magazine cover. Marshall carries a magazine titled “Them Weekly”. This magazine has Kardashian posing on the cover. When nervous about going number 2 in his company’s bathroom, Kardashian gives Marshall a bit of encouragement as he decides to take his time in the bathroom.

Joe Manganiello: Brad

Joe Manganiello plays Brad Morris, a friend of Marshall’s from law school. Manganiello’s character becomes very close with Marshall. The two helped each other get through break ups and supported each other in the beginning of their law careers. Manganiello is also in the hit Magic Mike movies and recurring roles on multiple shows including One Tree Hill. Manganiello is now married to Sofia Vergara.

Ashley Benson: Carly Whittaker

Ashley Benson, from Pretty Little Liars, portrays Barney’s half sister and a girl Ted used to date. Benson played a younger girl who was into Ted because he was older than her. She and Ted dated until he realized the two had nothing in common. Once Barney finds out it was his sister, he becomes very upset with Ted.

Rachel Bilson: Cindy

Bilson’s character is a very important character to the series, even though she only barely appears in five episodes. Bilson’s character dated Ted briefly and was the Mother’s roommate during it. During these episodes, the audience and Ted learned more about the Mother, her hobbies, and her belongings. Cindy and Ted break up, Cindy comes out as a lesbian, then basically introduces Ted and the gang to the Mother. If it wasn’t for Cindy, Ted and the Mother would’ve never met. Bilson is a familiar face to television, being on shows like The O.C., Hart of Dixie, and Nashville.

Bryan Cranston: Hammond Druthers

The Breaking Bad star Bryan Cranston appeared on a few episodes of How I Met Your Mother playing Ted’s boss Hammond Druthers. Cranston portrayed a famous architect who is a little eccentric. Cranston’s character adds an element of hilarity to the show.

Regis Philbin: Himself

Regis Philbin appeared in an episode of How I Met Your Mother when the gang tried to find the city’s best burger. Philbin, who played himself, was also on the hunt to find the place that had the best burger. Philbin didn’t hesitate to get aggressive with the group whenever he got a false call on the place the gang was at having the best burger.

Tim Gunn: Himself

Tim Gunn portrayed himself but as Barney’s personal stylist. Gunn appeared throughout the series giving Barney and others fashion advice. Gunn always delivered a sassy remark or condescending joke. The fact that Gunn was Barney’s stylist also added more to Barney’s character.

Kyle Mahoney

Lasell '18

Kyle Mahoney is a recent Lasell College graduate. Kyle majored in Communications with a concentration in Public Relations, with a minor in Business. Kyle has written for Her Campus Lasell for three years, as well with completing an internship with HCHQ Spring semester of 2018.