New American Apparel Ad Completely Indecent

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Lasell chapter.

Is anyone else completely shocked by American Apparel’s latest ad campaign?  It also doubles as free porn too!  The stores advertisement for mini-skirts is creating a significant amount of buzz in the media.  No, not because they are some fabulous mini-skirts, but because the advertisement shows a girl bending over at the waist exposing her backside to the camera.  She is wearing underwear, (in case you’re wondering) but that doesn’t make this advertisement acceptable.  Now, if by any chance you’re reading this and you are a guy, I understand that I’ve lost your attention at the mention of free porn and mini-skirts.

In this day and age, it’s no shock that sex sells.  Just walk into any convenience store and look at the rows of magazines.  There are probably more magazines with women half-dressed than ones wearing a full outfit.  American Apparel advertisers are no rookies when it comes to this aspect of the industry.  However, in their most recent advertisement, they took it a bit too far.  Their ads miss the mark completely, taking what is supposed to be pictures promoting the sale of their clothing, and turning it into pornography.  Don’t believe me?  Google these words exactly:  “American Apparel Ads,” and see what comes up.  The images that load by the hundreds are all pornographic pictures of men and women who are barely dressed, and in most cases, naked. 

American Apparel’s mini-skirt advertisement is not unique to its kind as the company runs ads like this often.  However, that doesn’t make it acceptable for the company to solicit what is essentially pornography to its customers for a profit.  Who knows, I may have wanted to buy some of those hot new mini- skirts.  I won’t ever know, because the advertisement doesn’t actually show the skirt itself.  Unfortunately, sex sells, but seeing these images does NOT make me want to beat down their door to buy their clothing.