jakob owens B5sNgRtYPQ4 unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
jakob owens B5sNgRtYPQ4 unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

Must See Christmas Shorts This Season

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Lasell chapter.

It’s officially December, which means Christmas is here! To prepare for the holiday, here is a list of all of the best Christmas shorts and films.

A Charlie Brown Christmas (1965)

This 25-minute-long animated short is a staple to Christmas entertainment. Follow Charlie Brown and his gang as they get ready for Christmas. During the preparation, Charlie Brown is depressed about the commercialization of Christmas, and is afraid he does not know the proper meaning of Christmas. In this story, Linus teaches Charlie the meaning of Christmas by quoting the Gospel of Luke. This entertaining short is also very educational.

Santa Claus is Comin’ to Town (1970)

This 51-minute-long short is a stop-motion animated piece.Viewers of this short learn the story of Santa Claus and how he got the reputation he has today. A mailman narrates the story. Viewers learn that Santa Claus was once an orphan raised by elves, and got his reputation for bringing toys into a town where toys were banned. With people both against Kris Kringle (Santa) and fighting with him against the evils, viewers find themselves rooting for Kris. This short also has musical numbers in it, so it is very entertaining for youngsters and musical lovers.

Frosty the Snowman (1969)

Frosty the Snowman is another Christmas classic. In this story, an inept magician loses his magical top hat, which ends up outside while the children are building a snowman (Frosty) at recess. When finding the hat, the children thought it would be a great idea to put the hat on the snowman. Doing this, the snowman comes to life and befriends all the children. All of them then try to get Frosty to the North Pole so he will not melt.

How the Grinch Stole Christmas (1966)

This animated story brings the book by Dr. Seuss to life. The Grinch is a miserable character who lives on top of a mountain. They describe this character as having a heart “two sizes too small” and has hated Christmas for 53 years. On Christmas Eve, the Grinch gets fed up and decides to ruin Christmas for all. The story follows what the Grinch does to ruin Christmas and the aftermath of what he’s done.

Rudolph the Red-Nosed Reindeer (1964)

This stop-motion film follows a young reindeer who is being bullied because of his nose. Unlike the other reindeer, Rudolph has a red-nose that lights up. Because of the ridicule, Rudolph decides to leave and join other misfits on the Island of Misfit Toys. This 55-minute movie also has musical numbers and has one of the most iconic characters.

The Year Without a Santa Claus (1974)

This stop-motion film captures what would happen if Santa took a year off. Due to illness and lack of belief, Santa decides to take the year off to go on a vacation. Santa then leaves two elves in charge of finding proof that people still believed in Santa Claus. The elves encounter numerous difficulties along the way. This 48-minute-long film also involves musical numbers.

Be sure to check out these classics before Christmas!

Kyle Mahoney

Lasell '18

Kyle Mahoney is a recent Lasell College graduate. Kyle majored in Communications with a concentration in Public Relations, with a minor in Business. Kyle has written for Her Campus Lasell for three years, as well with completing an internship with HCHQ Spring semester of 2018.