Michael Laramee

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Lasell chapter.

One of the youngest and most beloved professors on the Lasell Campus is Professor Michael Laramee. Originally from Milford, Mass., Laramee recently returned close to the hometown of his favorite basketball team, the Celtics. 

Before returning, Laramee built up his credentials at Umass Amherst and the University of Miami. Getting his B.A from Umass, Laramee says that’s where his passion for films bloomed. “I was more interested in literature and film and at UMASS/Amherst I fell in love with films, old and new and certainly ones from different cultural settings and historical periods.  I eventually found my African Film course to be the most fascinating and began researching many different aspects of films across Africa.” 

After a short period of time working on independent films in Boston, Laramee returned to graduate school in Miami where he studied African film industries. Laramee traveled to Nigeria to study the film industry there doing field work, while completing his dissertation on the subject. 

After his time in Africa, Michael Laramee came back to the Boston area to look for jobs and be closer to family. One of his colleague, and a current professor at Lasell, Dr. Dana Janbek, gave Laramee her high opinion of Lasell College, so he began teaching in the Communication Department as an adjunct and eventually was hired in the position of full-time Visiting Professor last year.

When asked about his youth, Laramee says, “As a younger teacher I do feel a bit more connected to students, certainly as we discuss films, TV, and mass media which are major components of so many of my courses and research. As a result my favorite courses to teach are the film courses like Elements of Film and Challenging Hollywood because they engender conversations where the topics are open, relevant, and interest students enough so they become enthusiastic and involved in discussions.  These courses make for great intergenerational learning opportunities (both with students and village residents)…”

Laramee continues his passion by creating new courses involving film. Students can expect three new courses created by Laramee next semester, including a new TV Studies course. “I am really excited for those offerings and to interact with students about the importance of film as the most influential mass medium, in my opinion, over the last 100 years and I thoroughly enjoy introducing films to students and discussing their historical and cultural contexts as well as their value in terms of aesthetics and societal impact,” he said.

Professor Laramee is appreciated and highly recommended among his students, both for his interesting courses and teaching style. Outside of the classroom, students can find him advising the Acapella Club as well as the advisor for many students. Professor Laramee continues with his passion for film and brings that passion into the classroom, teaching and shaping his students as only the best professors do.

Taylor is a senior at Lasell majoring in Communications with a concentration in Journalism and a minor in sociology. She has happily been a member of Her Campus Lasell for the past two years. This will be her second year as Campus Correspondent. She is also involved with Active Minds on campus. Taylor runs a camp during the summer, and in her free time likes to bake cookies, get swoll at the gym, eat fancy food and travel through Europe.