This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Lasell chapter.

Kale has had its ups and downs. Becoming a huge health and celebrity trend within the past year has been great promotion for the leafy green but came to be another come-and-go fad. The sad fact is most people don’t dare to try kale because of the truly natural leafy look it possesses. Better yet, if someone has one bad experience with kale it’s unlikely they’ll try it again, even though there are many ways to prepare kale like any other food. 

But the truth is; kale is an absolute superfood. This month at Lasell is Health and Wellness Month and with warmer weather arriving, we start to think about getting fit, fresh fruit, running outside, and being healthier. If you incorporate one new food into your diet now, make it kale. 

Kale has the most Vitamin K compared to many other foods. Vitamin K is essential for blood clotting and is beneficial in many more areas of the body and many people are deficient in Vitamin K. Vitamin K helps your bones get calcium and other minerals so that they stay strong and helps to eliminate heart disease by preventing the arteries from getting hard. Kale is also extremely high in Vitamin A and Vitamin C, essential for growth and immune support. Additionally, kale is high in potassium, protein, fiber, calcium, folate, Vitamin B, and an omega-3 fatty acid called. The veggie is part of the cruciferous vegetable group, a superstar list of foods that should be eaten two to three times a week at the least. 

In order to enjoy the incredible health benefits of kale, you need to break the stigma by finding a recipe you actually like. There are tons of different ways to eat it besides just in a salad, but do your research to find your own recipes and use this article as a guide. 

Most popularly thought of are kale chips. You can buy some at Trader Joe’s and find flavors like nacho, or  make your own with olive oil, salt, and spices like garlic. You can also easily add kale to your smoothie and you won’t even be able to taste it!  Kale soup sounds disgusting but is a wonderful comfort food and kale greens can be added into chicken noodle, lentil, minestrone, or any other soup. Do keep in mind that once cooked, kale loses a portion of its nutrients. There are crazy ways to use kale out there, like kale pesto and kale pizza crust, so experimenting can be key. Lastly, throw a piece of kale on top of your burger instead of lettuce- doable for even the most hesitant veggie eater. Go discover kale and pave your way to eating more healthy foods!  

Photos 1 2

Katelynn, Lasell's chapter treasurer, is a Fashion Communication and Promotion major at Lasell with a double minor in Graphic Design and Event Management. She just returned from a semester abroad in Florence, Italy and this is her second year writing for Her Campus Lasell. Along with being a part of Graphic Design League, POLISHED Magazine, Hope For Humanity, and the Lasell College Honors Program, Katelynn is a lover of cats and vegan food.